When you’re walking around, you expect to arrive safely. But, this is not always the case. If a reckless driver injured you or a loved one, contact the Toledo pedestrian accident lawyers at KNR today.
We are proud to announce The Robert Redick Memorial Scholarship which awards $5,000 to a student pursuing higher-education.
KNR has a long tradition of public service in Ohio. From charitable donations to our volunteer work, Team KNR is proud to give back and ready to help.
Super Lawyers Magazine has named three of our attorneys to the Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists in 2022.
See how our case results have helped clients rebuild their lives.
People are constantly walking along sidewalks, across parking lots, and at crosswalks in and around Toldeo.
These accidents happen with little to no warning, and the injuries can be catastrophic. Do not delay in contacting our Toledo pedestrian accident lawyers. We understand how the law applies and that you deserve compensation from the party responsible.
Contact Kisling, Nestico & Redick to speak with a Toledo injury attorney about how we can help you through the complex legal process that follows a pedestrian accident. It’s important to seek out skilled legal counsel.
Pedestrian Accidents in Toledo
There is little time for a pedestrian to react after a car accident. These accidents are common and generally involve reckless drivers.
The Ohio Department of Transportation reports over 2,500 pedestrians are injured every year in Ohio in auto accidents. While every case is different and accidents can happen anywhere, some locations see a lot of pedestrian accidents:
- Busy crosswalks – Drivers sometimes fail to obey state law as they approach designated pedestrian crosswalks. Some of the most dangerous streets for pedestrians in Toledo include Washington St. and Monroe St. in downtown.
- In parking lots and driveways – Many drivers lower their guard in parking lots, even if it is full of people walking.
- Near school zones – Motorists often fail to slow down when driving past a school that can be surrounded by pedestrians. Victims often get hit near high schools as well as college campuses like the University of Toledo.
- At recreational areas – People on foot are often struck at access points to waterways like the Maumee River or Lake Erie. Many victims are also hit by off-road vehicles, driven recklessly or on poorly marked trails.
Common Pedestrian Accidents
It’s important to determine exactly what happened if you get hit by a car as a pedestrian because you cannot recover compensation if you can’t show the motorist’s negligence, and how it resulted in harm.
Some common examples of pedestrians injured by careless drivers include:
- Intoxicated drivers – Pedestrians are frequently hit by drunk drivers, particularly at night.
- Failures to stop or yield – Those in a hurry often fail to make proper stops at intersections and typically fail to yield to pedestrians.
- Hit and runs – Drivers sometimes panic or refuse to take responsibility for an accident they caused. If this happens, it may take longer to receive emergency treatment.
- Motorists making dangerous turns – It’s common for drivers making turns to only look out for other cars, failing to notice people on foot.
Severe Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Being hit by a car, truck, or motorcycle can result in devastating injuries. Many victims will have pain or a lifetime disability. Even a relatively minor injury can require significant medical attention, and these often get worse over time if not properly addressed.
It’s important for your attorney to fully understand how your injuries will affect your life. This allows them to seek adequate compensation for your present and future needs. The Toledo pedestrian accident lawyers at Kisling, Nestico, & Redick have seen many pedestrian injuries such as:
- Brain damage and head injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Broken or fractured bones
- Extensive blood loss
- Loss of limbs or need for amputation
- Deep lacerations or puncture wounds
- Internal organ damage
- Damaged joints
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
Steps to Take After Being Struck by a Car
Many people do not know what to do after a pedestrian accident. Even if you can walk away from your accident, it’s important to take your injuries seriously. Damage to your joints, organs, and nervous system can get worse over time if not properly addressed.
Injured pedestrains should:
- Call for emergency help immediately
- Speak with police
- Call a lawyer
- Work with your doctors
Medical Care for Injured Pedestrians
Toledo is home to many leading health care facilities that can treat you following a pedestrian accident. With considerable experience helping injury victims, our Toledo lawyers will guide and assist you with documenting your medical care and the costs associated with your injuries.
We have relationships with the many excellent hospitals and trauma centers in Toledo, including:
- ProMedica Toledo Hospital
- Mercy Health – St. Anne Hospital
- Mercy Health Children’s Hospital
- Other local ERs
Pedestrian Accidents: Statute of Limitations
Ohio has a strict statute of limitations in personal injury cases. The two-year limit to filing a personal injury suit is pretty firm. While there are some exceptions, you must not delay in calling a lawyer. Do not accept any settlement or payment before discussing your case with legal counsel.
The other party and their insurance provider will try to pay you as little as possible. Our Toledo pedestrian accident lawyers understand how to recover an acceptable settlement offer or take your case to trial if necessary. However, the legal process can be complex, so we encourage you to act as soon as possible.
Compensation after a Pedestrian Accident
Calling an experienced lawyer can help recover compensation. This requires demonstrating the negligent driver’s recklessness and tying them to your injuries.
Kisling, Nestico & Redick has helped many Toledo injury victims and a long history of fighting for fair results in pedestrian accident cases across Ohio. For example, we secured a $275,000 settlement for a man struck by a car that fled the scene.
Damages that you may be able to recover include:
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
Many people wonder if they can recover compensation if they hold some liability. Ohio law allows you to recover, but your compensation will be reduced by your share of responsibility. However, you cannot recover if you hold the majority of responsibility for your injuries.
A Lawyer From Kisling, Nestico, & Redick Can Help You
Many of pedestrian victims are seriously injured or killed through no fault of their own. If you get hit by a motorist while on foot, your life can change forever.
Do not delay in contacting an experienced Toledo pedestrian accident lawyer if you need to recover compensation from the careless party in your accident. Our legal team has years of experience investigating personal injury cases in northwest Ohio. We work closely with the doctors treating our clients so that we fully understand the harm they sustained and the impact that it will have on their lives.
Contact Kisling, Nestico & Redick to speak with one of our Toledo pedestrian accident lawyers about your case. We understand the personal injury legal process, and we know how important compensation is for you and your family. Contact our office in Toledo today at (419) 324-8205.