Commercial trucks are a familiar sight in Ohio, but when they are involved in accidents, the results can be life-shattering. If you are a victim of a truck accident caused by someone else, contact the Canton truck accident lawyers with KNR today.
We are proud to announce The Robert Redick Memorial Scholarship which awards $5,000 to a student pursuing higher-education.
KNR has a long tradition of public service in Ohio. From charitable donations to our volunteer work, Team KNR is proud to give back and ready to help.
Super Lawyers Magazine has named three of our attorneys to the Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists in 2022.
See how our case results have helped clients rebuild their lives.
Because of their sheer size, speed, and volume of trucks on the road, there are far too many truck accident fatalities. In fact, most deaths in truck crashes are passenger vehicle occupants. That’s because when an 18-wheeler, which weighs 20 to 30 times more than a regular car, makes a mistake, it can lead to major injuries and, in some cases, death.
If you have sustained injuries in a truck accident, you may be able to seek compensation for the medical attention and other losses you experienced.
The Canton truck accident lawyers at Kisling, Nestico & Redick will work to ensure that you obtain the best care and outcome possible. Our skill and knowledge can often be the difference in recovering what you need.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Canton
Because Canton is a major thoroughfare for big rig trucks, there are many on Canton’s highways, like Highway 77 that cuts through Whittier Park, the Start County Fairgrounds, and Stadium Park.
The causes of truck accidents range from driver carelessness to truck malfunction. However, if you are involved in a commercial vehicle accident, the severity of your injuries can depend heavily on the cause.
- Driver Fatigue: Oftentimes, truck drivers surpass the industry limits on how long one can drive without rest to cover more ground. Not getting adequate rest can cause a driver to fall asleep at the wheel.
- Excessive Speed: Because it takes a long time for an 18-wheeler to come to a full and complete stop, speeds that exceed the limit are extremely dangerous. If there is a rear-end crash or stopped traffic ahead, it is hard for semi-trucks to stop quickly, which can cause a dangerous chain reaction.
- Improperly Secured Cargo: Tractor-trailers carry various types of cargo, from food, fuel, machinery to building materials. When loads are not properly secured, they can fall off and strike other vehicles.
- Equipment Failure: There are several possibilities when it comes to equipment failure. A common one is brake failure. This can cause a truck to go out of control, harming other vehicles on the road.
- Other Driver Error: Reckless or otherwise impaired drivers can cause dangerous and fatal crashes
Types of Truck Accidents
There are three main types of dangerous truck accidents that are likely:
- Jackknife Accident: Sometimes, the front of a semi-truck can skid, causing the trailer to push it from behind until it spins sideways, facing toward the back. This can be caused by equipment failure, extreme weather conditions, or breaking improperly. This type of accident can be fatal because it causes the truck to go out of control and take up more than one lane as it careens down the road.
- Under Ride Crashes: This is when a passenger vehicle slides underneath a tractor-trailer. This type of accident is almost always fatal and can cause decapitation of the driver.
- Rear-end collisions: In rear-end collisions, it is often the fault of the vehicle striking from the rear. Causes for these collisions are driver fatigue, brake failure, drug or alcohol use, inclement weather or equipment problems.
No matter the type of commercial vehicle accident, there may be injuries that lead you to seek compensation. Our Canton truck accident attorneys are ready to help.
Common Truck Accident Injuries
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, most truck crash fatalities involve passenger vehicles. Many Ohio drivers have survived horrific truck accidents, but have been left with many different types of injuries, such as:
- Back and Neck Injuries: The scope of these injuries is vast and can include everything from minor neck pain to more serious spinal injuries.
- Broken Bones: Oftentimes semi-truck accidents happen at very high velocities, which can mean that bones are more easily broken.
- Seat Belt Injuries: Sometimes seat belts can be harmful during collisions and cause injury.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Truck accidents can lead to spinal cord injuries that lead to paralysis.
- Brain Injuries: When there is intense impact in a car, head injuries can occur which can lead to brain damage.
- Internal injuries: Tractor trailer crashes can cause powerful trauma to the body, which can lead to injuries of internal organs like the kidney, spleen, pancreas, and bladder. These types of injuries often require surgery to heal.
- Lacerations: Cuts and lacerations from broken glass, or other impacts of a collision, can cause permanent scarring.
- Wrongful Death: Unfortunately, tractor-trailer accidents can cause wrongful death. If this happens to a loved one, a truck accident lawyer can help evaluate if you are entitled to compensation of any kind.
Medical care after a Canton Truck Accident
With considerable experience helping local personal injury victims, our Canton truck accident lawyers can help guide and assist you with documenting injuries and medical costs if you or a loved one are getting care after a truck accident.
We have strong relationships with many local Canton hospitals and trauma centers, including:
Compensation After a Canton Truck Accident
If you or a loved one sustained an injury in a truck crash due to the actions or negligence of a truck driver or company, you may be able to open a truck accident case to recover compensation. Medical costs and rehab related to truck accidents can be long-term and incredibly expensive. This is why it is imperative that you seek compensation for damages if you believe you are not at fault for your injuries.
Our Canton semi-truck accident lawyers can guide you through every step of understanding the legal process, get treatment, and assist you in seeking compensation for these injuries.
A truck accident claim can help you recover your:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
KNR has helped numerous injury victims after truck accidents get compensation for their long-term needs. For example, KNR represented a client who was t-boned by a truck in a Stark County intersection. We settled the case for $750,000.
Our Canton Truck Accident Lawyers Can Help
After an unexpected truck accident, you suddenly have to deal with pain, grief, and a large financial burden. All of this can make it extremely difficult to deal with an insurance adjuster or contemplate going to court.
Our Canton truck accident attorneys at Kisling, Nestico & Redick will handle every aspect of your claim, from investigating the crash, talking with the insurer, and filing the lawsuit.
Our 18-wheeler accident attorneys will take all of the necessary steps to secure compensation for your injuries.