Commercial trucks are a familiar sight in Toledo, but accidents can be life-shattering. If you are a victim of a truck accident caused by someone else, contact the Toledo truck accident lawyers with KNR today.
We are proud to announce The Robert Redick Memorial Scholarship which awards $5,000 to a student pursuing higher-education.
KNR has a long tradition of public service in Ohio. From charitable donations to our volunteer work, Team KNR is proud to give back and ready to help.
Super Lawyers Magazine has named three of our attorneys to the Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists in 2021.
See how our case results have helped clients rebuild their lives.
Tens of thousands of large trucks pass through Toledo and northwestern Ohio every day. However, semi-trucks sometimes cause terrible accidents that can injure and even kill numerous victims.
Your life completely changes after being injured by a large truck, from severe pain, needing surgery, or being out of work. But you have the right to seek compensation. In these cases, it’s critical to work with a personal injury team with considerable experience taking on large trucking companies and their insurers.
At KNR, our Toledo personal injury attorneys understand the state and federal trucking regulations that govern this industry. And with over 500 years of combined legal experience, we have successfully recovered the compensation that many Toledo truck accident victims needed and deserved.
Contact Kisling, Nestico & Redick to speak with a knowledgeable truck accident lawyer in Toledo today. contact our office at (419) 324-8205. We offer 100% free initial consultations, and there are no costs unless you recover compensation.
Trucks Wrecks in Toledo, Ohio
18-wheelers are constantly traveling alongside smaller passenger cars on Toledo streets and highways. Recently two people were killed when a semi-truck lost control and collided into their car in Wood County outside of Toledo. The victims’ car was at a standstill due to construction; it is still uncertain why the truck driver was unable to avoid an accident. Another fatal wreck occurred on Interstate 75 in Toledo when a trucker swerved off the road at an exit ramp.
Devastating truck accidents happen on busy highways and small roads throughout Lucas County.
Truck collisions are generally quite different than those involving ordinary passenger vehicles. Not only are semi-truck accident scenes larger, but there are also many types of accidents that are unique to large commercial trucks.
Types of Truck Collisions
- Wide turn accidents – A truck takes up a lot of space as its trailer swings one way while the cab is turning in the opposite direction. If not carefully done, these turns can catch drivers off guard while encroaching on their lane.
- Rollovers – A truck that hits a slick roadway or an object can easily tip over. Careless drivers will quickly find their trucks on their sides, and innocent drivers caught underneath.
- Rear-end collisions – Trucks can often have a difficult time stopping in a sudden emergency. A driver caught off guard may end up causing a deadly rear-end accident.
- Jackknife accidents – The trailer of a truck can travel outwards to the side when the driver quickly applies the brakes or adjusts the vehicle’s direction. This can cause the trailer to skid into traffic in other lanes.
- Blind-spot accidents – Truckers should understand how to properly use their mirrors to avoid hitting something that is in their “blind-spot.” However, a careless truck driver may not consider nearby vehicles when making a turn or stopping.
- Spills – Trucks can spill their cargo when they are improperly loaded, or driven recklessly. This can cause your car to crash into their cargo, or hit another car as you try to avoid it.
Truck Accident Causes
Truckers must not only be attentive but also properly trained to operate their vehicles safely. Large trucks are much more complex than smaller vehicles, and drivers can easily lose control if they are not careful.
As the victim of a truck wreck, you cannot expect compensation if your lawyer does not build a strong case of the other driver’s negligence. Our Toledo truck accident lawyers understand how to investigate these complex cases.
While every 18-wheeler accident is different, some of the most common causes of truck crashes include:
- Driver exhaustion – Truck drivers frequently fall asleep behind the wheel when pushed to drive more hours than are permitted by law. Your lawyer must gather timesheets and driver logs to determine if the trucker in your accident violated federal laws.
- Defective parts – Semi-trucks are much more complicated than normal cars, and many things can go wrong if they are not properly maintained. A truck accident lawyer may need to consult with experts and study all the technical details of the truck in your wreck.
- Driver distraction – There are many things that can distract all drivers, like cell phones, food, and passengers. Truckers are subject to more distractions while trying to manage their schedules and efficiently operate their vehicles.
- Improper loading – A truck can cause a deadly spill or even tip over if it was not properly loaded. If this happens, your lawyer will have to determine if the trucking company or a third party was negligent in how they loaded cargo onto the truck.
- Intoxicated driving – Drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol kill hundreds of people on Ohio roads every year. Truckers often consume dangerous amounts of medication or stimulants which can affect how well they react to dangers on the road.
- Road rage – Enraged drivers often speed and swerve in and out of traffic. Truck drivers who lose their temper can easily cause a devastating accident when they briefly neglect the safe use of the truck.
Trucking Insurance Rrequirments
A truck crash can be life-altering and expensive. They need financial relief, but people are often uncertain about what their truck accident case is worth.
Ohio law lets you seek compensation for the damage caused by someone else. This means demonstrating how the other party was negligent and how it resulted in harm.
Unlike normal passenger cars, large trucks are required by federal law to have higher insurance coverage. This is because accidents involving these vehicles can result in significant damage. Ohio law states cars must have at least $25,000 in coverage, but federal law requires 18-wheelers to have a minimum of $750,000.
This requirement can increase depending on many details. A truck carrying hazardous cargo may need a minimum of $5,000,000. However, this does not mean that you will be given a large financial award after a truck accident. Instead, your lawyer must investigate all of the details and make a strong case for everything you and your family need.
Medical Care after a Toledo Truck Accident
With considerable experience helping local injury victims, our truck accident lawyers can help guide and assist you with documenting injuries and medical costs if you or a loved one are getting care after a truck accident.
We have strong relationships with many Toledo hospitals and trauma centers, including:
- ProMedica Toledo Hospital
- Mercy Health – St. Anne Hospital
- Mercy Health Children’s Hospital
- Other local ERs
Compensation After a Truck Accident
The medical costs and lost income related to truck accident injuries can be long term and incredibly expensive. This is why you must seek compensation if you believe you are not at fault for your injuries.
Our Toledo truck accident attorneys can guide you through the legal process, help you get treatment, and assist you in seeking compensation for these injuries.
A truck accident claim can help you recover:
- Medical costs – Your hospital and doctor bills can quickly add up after being injured in an 18-wheeler accident. A skilled truck accident lawyer can recover financial help for past as well as future medical needs.
- Lost wages – Many people injured in a truck accident cannot return to work for a long time, and some may be permanently disabled. Your lawyer should also seek compensation for any lost future earning potential.
- Property damage – While your vehicle is not as important as your health, it’s important for your car to be fixed or replaced by the party that is responsible for its damage.
- Pain and suffering – A truck wreck can disrupt every aspect of your life and cause significant suffering. You have the right to seek damages for all serious consequences of your accident.
KNR has helped numerous truck accident injury victims in Lucas County get compensation for their long-term needs. For example, we represented a client who was struck by a tractor-trailer on Hill Avenue in Toledo and secured $250,000 Settlement.
Do Not Delay After a Truck Accident
It’s understandable for anyone to be uncertain after a terrible accident with a truck. Your injuries can be extreme, and it’s important to seek emergency medical help without delay.
After this, call an experienced Ohio truck accident lawyer. You have the right to seek compensation, but the other side and their insurance companies will try and pay as little as possible. A skilled lawyer can negotiate for an acceptable settlement while building a strong case to take to trial if necessary.
We understand how complex these cases can be and how aggressively the other parties will approach your claim. Ohio’s statute of limitations also requires that you file a claim within two years. While there are exceptions, we strongly encourage you to call as soon as possible. Truck accident cases generally require significant evidence, and your bills and expenses will only continue to add up.
Toledo Truck Accident FAQs
1. What is My Truck Accident Worth?
2. Who Is To Blame For A Truck Accident?
3. Can I Recover Compensation If I’m Partly At Fault?
4. What If Someone Died in A Truck Accident?
Kisling, Nestico, & Redick Can Help You
After an unexpected truck accident, you suddenly have to deal with pain, grief, and a large financial burden. All of this can make it extremely difficult to deal with an insurance adjuster or contemplate going to court.
The Toledo truck accident attorneys at Kisling, Nestico & Redick will handle every aspect of your claim, from investigating the crash, talking with the insurer, and filing the lawsuit. Let us secure compensation for your injuries.