Common Insurance Forms You May Receive After a Car Accident | KNR
Kisling, Nestico & Redick, LLC Hurt in a Car? Call KNR.
Written by
KNR Legal
Date posted
March 13, 2018

If you’ve been injured in a car accident that was not your fault, you may receive forms from the liable party’s insurance company. Although the insurance company will want you to sign these documents, it is in your best interest not to, since doing so can prevent you from collecting the full and fair compensation you may be entitled to. Below are three of the most common insurance forms you may receive after a car accident.

If you sustain an injury in a car accident, before signing any forms, reach out to our Ohio personal injury attorneys at Kisling, Nestico & Redick for help. Call us today at 1-800-HURT-NOW to set up a free consultation.

Medical Authorization Release

By signing a medical authorization release form, which is a HIPAA complaint document, you give the insurance company the right to access your healthcare records. By doing this, they can look for evidence of past complaints that may explain your current injuries.

For example, if you have previously seen the doctor because of shoulder pain, this information could be used to reduce your compensation amount. The insurer may also search for statements that you made to your doctor that are inconsistent with the level of your injuries. Rather than signing a medical authorization release, you should work with an experienced personal injury attorney to gather relevant medical bills and records.

Release of Liability

At some point, you will have to sign a release of liability to collect compensation for your damages. However, you should never sign one of these forms without consulting a personal injury attorney who can investigate your claim and thoroughly evaluate the insurance company’s offer.

Unfortunately, there have been many accident victims that have signed a release of liability without having a complete understanding of what it means or the consequences of signing it. Since your claim will be closed once this document is signed and received by the insurance company, you should refrain from signing it until a lawyer states that you should.

This document includes information, such as who was involved in the accident, a statement saying that the accident injured you, and a compensation amount. It is the last form you will sign before you receive your compensation, and a lawyer usually will prepare the form for you to sign.

Property Damage Release

If the car accident totaled your vehicle, the liable party’s insurance company will likely ask you to sign a property damage release. In the event, your vehicle was totaled and you sign the release or accept a check, you are agreeing that their liability toward you is completed. You will not have the right to go back to the insurance company and ask for more money.

Contact Our Ohio Personal Injury Lawyers Today

Filing a personal injury claim with the liable party’s insurance company can be a complex process. To ensure your rights are protected and increase your chances of the best possible outcome, call our experienced Ohio personal injury lawyers before signing any forms or having any discussions with the insurer.

Call Kisling, Nestico & Redick today at 1-800-HURT-NOW to schedule a free consultation.