A car accident can change your life. But the Canton attorneys at Kisling, Nestico & Redick know how to help. We’ll handle the paperwork and fight for the maximum compensation you deserve.
We are proud to announce The Robert Redick Memorial Scholarship which awards $5,000 to a student pursuing higher-education.
KNR has a long tradition of public service in Ohio. From charitable donations to our volunteer work, Team KNR is proud to give back and ready to help.
Super Lawyers Magazine has named three of our attorneys to the Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists in 2022.
See how our case results have helped clients rebuild their lives.
Legal Help After a Canton Car Accident
Even if you are a responsible driver, other drivers and unforeseen situations can still cause a wreck and life-changing injuries. If you or a family member are hurt in a car accident, you may be able to seek compensation for the emotional, physical, and financial damages. If you lost a loved one in a motor vehicle accident you may also be eligible to file a wrongful death claim.
The Canton car accident lawyers at Kisling, Nestico & Redick have considerable experience and a long history of success in Canton, Ohio, auto collision cases. At KNR, we will navigate the legal process so you can recover. Call (330) 488-1234 or use our online form to schedule a free, no-risk consultation. There are no upfront costs, and you owe nothing unless you recover compensation.
Canton Car Accidents: Common Causes
Car accidents in the area happen for any number of reasons. While most are associated with driver error or general negligence, the most common causes of car accidents are:
- Distracted Driving: Has become the number one reason for car accidents. In Ohio, the law prohibits writing, sending, or reading text messages and using a phone for Internet use while driving. Doing any of these is now illegal in Canton and elsewhere in Ohio.
- Speeding: This is the second most common cause of auto accidents in the US.
- Drunk Driving: In Ohio, it is illegal to drive with a BAC (blood alcohol concentration) of .08 or above. In Ohio, a DUI is called an OVI.
- Improper Lane Changes: Making a lane change without signaling appropriately may lead to a car accident.
- Disobeying Traffic Signs: Failure to obey traffic signs or failure to yield to drivers that have the right-of-way
What to Do After a Car Accident in Canton, OH?
Because car accidents are so common, it’s wise to be clear about what to do if you are involved in a car crash.
- Stay on the Scene – Try to stay on the scene and exchange information with the other party involved. If you leave, it can be considered a crime.
- Move your Vehicle – If the accident is minor, move your vehicle to the side while you exchange information. If you are not injured, and the other party isn’t injured, Ohio law doesn’t require you to call the police.
- Injury – If an injury occurred, call 911 and request medical help. Of course, this is provided you are not too severely injured.
- Gather Information – You will need full names, phone numbers, car license plate numbers, cars’ make and models, and the insurance details of the other party.
- Consult a Lawyer – Once you are treated for your injuries, reach out to a local attorney with experience in car accident cases. You’ll likely be surprised by how fast an insurance company contacts you, especially if you’re not responsible. These companies are focused on paying as little as possible to make your case go away, so you should seek professional advice about what you are legally entitled to.
Who’s Responsible & Getting the Accident Report?
Whether a Canton car accident happens in Vassar Park, Whittier Park, or Colonial Heights, Ohio is an at-fault state. This means the party responsible, or their insurer, is required to cover all damages and losses.
In most car accident cases, the key aspect in determining who is responsible will be the police report. The police are usually the first impartial witnesses on the scene and their account is one of the primary factors. You can access Canton accident reports here. In Stark County, you can view accident reports here.
Filing a Car Accident Claim or Lawsuit
If an accident and your injuries were caused by another driver or party’s negligence, you should not bear the financial obligation for dealing with it. Fortunately, Ohio law lets you pursue financial compensation for the harm done. This is accomplished through either an insurance claim or a lawsuit.
To prove your case and ultimately secure compensation for your assorted losses, you must establish negligence and liability for the accident. This means demonstrating:
- The party at fault for your accident had a duty of care toward you
- This duty was breached by a failure to act reasonably
- The breach of duty caused the car accident and your subsequent injuries
- You suffered harm from these injures that you can be compensated for
Canton, Ohio Car Accident Damages & Compensation
Depending on the severity of the accident, the injuries you sustained, and other factors, you may be able to recover all your economic and non-economic damages. This includes your:
- Medical expenses
- Loss of income
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
Our team has helped numerous Canton car accident victims obtain what they need. For instance, we recently helped a minor passenger settle their case for $100,000 after an uninsured and impaired driver T-boned a vehicle on 8th Street in NE in Canton, near the intersection of Hamilton Ave.
KNR’s Car Accident Lawyers Can Help You Too
Insurance companies will look for any opportunity to pay you less and downplay their policy holder’s responsibility. They may suggest you were at fault, diminish your injuries, and offer a low-ball amount to make you case go away quickly. With our Canton auto accident attorneys by your side, you stand a better chance of convincing the insurance companies that you were not responsible an deserve max compensation.
A skilled lawyer can gather all the evidence and present it clearly and convincingly to illustrate fault and how the injuries you sustained impacted your life.
Our Canton Legal Team Will:
Investigate & Collect Evidence
You must provide evidence of the other driver’s fault during the claim. Evidence can include:
- The police report
- The responding officer’s testimony
- Witness statements
- Your testimony
- Expert testimony
You also must provide evidence of your injuries, like your medical records, photos, videos, and expert testimony.
Identify Who Was At Fault & Liable
Bringing a successful car accident claim means bringing it against the right person or business. Through our in-depth investigation, we find out who caused the car accident and why. We also look for whether anyone else might be liable for your injuries, such as the vehicle’s true owner or the driver’s employer.
Negotiate with Insurance
If the insurer approves your claim, the next step is to agree on a car accident settlement. The insurer might make a low offer. It’s up to you to decide whether to accept or negotiate, and you have the right to ask for more compensation. An attorney experienced in handling car accident claims and negotiating settlements can help.
Take Your Case to Court (If Necessary)
Sometimes accident victims benefit from filing a lawsuit. While most car accident claims settle, a lawsuit shows the insurance company you’re serious and lets you collect more evidence.
From intense pain to the stress associated with keeping up on your finances, you have enough to deal with after an auto accident. At KNR, we can handle every aspect of your car accident claim so you can focus on getting back to your life. Let us guide you and give your case the best possible chance at recovering the maximum. This could be the difference in getting the medical care you need, recouping the wages you lost, and otherwise moving past a car crash.
Canton Car Accident FAQs
1. What is a Car Accident Worth?
2. Is There a Statute of Limitations for Car Accidents?
3. How is Fault Determined?
4. What if The Driver is Uninsured?
5. Should I Accept an Insurance Settlement?
Contact KNR Today. Free Consults.
Do not delay in contacting a knowledgeable lawyer as soon as possible after a car accident in Canton. AT KNR, our lawyers understand how to make a strong case and maximize your compensation. Let us discuss your accident, injuries, and what you can expect.