Thomas J. Walsh II
attorney at law
Areas of Practice
Thomas began working for Kisling, Nestico & Redick as a law clerk in 2015. After passing the July 2016 Ohio Bar Exam, Thomas accepted a position as an Attorney at Law with our firm’s pre-litigation department. Equipped with a diverse legal background, he is able to provide our clients effective and enthusiastic representation.
Following his first year as a student at The University of Toledo College of Law, Thomas interned with the Toledo Public Defender’s Office. During this summer internship, Thomas helped to represent indigent defendants facing various misdemeanor and felony charges. During his second year of law school, Thomas worked as a Law Clerk for the Staff Counsel of the Cincinnati Insurance Company. While working as a Clerk for the in-house insurance defense counsel, Thomas dealt with various types of personal injury and property damage cases. In the summer after his second year of law school, he took an opportunity to work for the U.S. Department of Justice in Scranton, Pennsylvania, through the Summer Law Internship Program (SLIP). As a SLIP Intern, he worked with federal law enforcement agencies, Assistant U.S. Attorneys, and the U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, in the areas of federal criminal prosecution and civil defense. In his final year of law school, Thomas began working for our firm as a law clerk.
While he was a student at The University of Toledo College of Law, Thomas participated in two Moot Court competitions and was a member of Law Review. In the Charles W. Fornoff Appellate Advocacy Competition — an intra-school appellate advocacy competition for second-year students — Thomas won the Best Orator award, and he and his co-counsel won the Best Team Award. In his third year at the College of Law, he competed in the Herbert Wechsler National Criminal Law Moot Court Competition. There, he and his co-counsel made it to the semifinals and Thomas personally received the Ryan J. Mullins Award. For his successes in these competitions, he was later selected to be a member of The Order of Barristers. As a member of Law Review, Thomas was selected to be an Articles Editor for Board 47. Also, his note, focusing on labor law and the NLRA, was published in The University of Toledo Law Review’s Winter Edition.
Thomas received his Juris Doctor from The University of Toledo College of Law in May of 2016, graduating cum laude. He also earned certificates of concentration with distinction in the areas of criminal law and labor and employment law.
- Ohio, 2016
- The University of Toledo College of Law, Toledo, Ohio, J.D., cum laude, May 2016
- Kent State University, Kent, Ohio, B.A., magna cum laude – May 2013 – Major: Political Science & Philosophy, Minor: Pre-Law
Honors and Awards
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers – 2022
- Charles W. Fornoff Appellate Advocacy Competition – Best Orator & Best Team Awards
- Herbert Wechsler National Criminal Law Moot Court Competition – Semifinalist & Recipient of Ryan J. Mullins Award
- Law Review – Board 47: Articles Editor
- Moot Court – Criminal Law Team
- The Order of Barristers
- Certificate of Concentration with Distinction in Labor & Employment Law
- Certificate of Concentration with Distinction in Criminal Law
- Supersizing the Definition of Employer Under the National Labor Relations Act – Broadening the Joint Employer Standard to Include Franchisors and Franchisees, 47 U. Tol. L. Rev. 589 (2016).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Delta Theta Phi (Law Fraternity) – Vice Dean & Alumni Liaison, 2013 – 2016
- American Constitution Society – Chapter President, 2014 – 2016
- Federalist Society – Member, September 2013 – May 2016
- Student Legal Services Board of Trustees, August 2014 – May 2016
- Kisling, Nestico & Redick, LLC – Law Clerk, September 2015 – November 2016
- U.S. Department of Justice – U.S. Attorneys Office for the Middle District of Pennsylvania – Legal Intern – Summer Law Internship Program (SLIP), June 2015 – August 2015
- Staff Counsel for the Cincinnati Insurance Company – Law Clerk, October 2014 – May 2015
- Toledo Public Defender’s Office – Legal Intern, May 2014 – August 2014