Christopher J. Van Blargan
attorney at law
Areas of Practice
Civil Litigation, Medical Malpractice, Employer Intentional Tort, Product Liability, Truck and Automobile Liability, Insurance Coverage Cases, Commercial Automobile, Commercial General Liability, Errors and Omissions, Directors and Officers Policies, Personal Injury Cases, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Appellate Practice
Christopher J. Van Blargan grew up in Northeast Ohio, and graduated from John Carroll University in 1990. He began his legal career in 1993 as a full-time law clerk with Allen Schulman & Associates, a highly respected firm in Canton, Ohio, while attending The University of Akron School of Law. After his admission to the Ohio Bar in 1996, Chris stayed on with the firm, representing injured clients in a wide range of civil litigation including medical malpractice, employer intentional tort, product liability, truck and automobile liability, and insurance coverage cases. During his tenure, Chris researched, prepared, and filed amicus briefs on behalf of the Ohio Association of Justice in cases pending before the Supreme Court of Ohio including the landmark case of Scott-Pontzer v. Liberty Mutual Fire Insurance Company.
Based upon his experience in insurance coverage litigation, Chris was offered and accepted a position with a Cleveland defense firm in 2003. In addition to representing insurers and insureds in coverage disputes under commercial automobile, commercial general liability, errors and omissions, and directors’ and officers’ policies, Chris continued representing clients in medical malpractice and personal injury cases. While this experience gave him insight with respect to insurance carriers’ evaluation and handling of claims, after nine years with the firm, Chris decided he wanted to help injured individuals and joined Kisling, Nestico & Redick in 2012.
Chris is admitted to practice in all Ohio courts, the United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio, the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, the United States Court of Federal Claims, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. He has participated in and tried cases throughout Ohio at all levels, including the Supreme Court of Ohio.
Chris lives with his three children in Canal Fulton, Ohio, where he is a member of Saints Philip and James Parish.
Professional Profiles and Reviews
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
- Ohio, 1996
- University of Akron School of Law, Akron, Ohio, J.D. – 1995
- John Carroll University, B.A. – 1990
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Stark County Bar Association
- Ohio Association of Justice
- Janik LLP, Senior Associate, 2003 – 2012
- Allen Schulman & Associates, Associate, 1996 – 2003
- Allen Schulman & Associates, Law Clerk, 1993 – 1996
Notable Cases & Published Works
- Infinite Security Solutions, LLC v. Karam Properties I, Ltd., Case Nos. 2013-1671 and 2013-1795
- Root v. Stahl/Scott Fetzer Company, 2017-Ohio-8389, 88 N.E.3d 980 (Ohio App. 8th Dist.)
- Abboud v. Liberty Mut. Ins. Grp. Inc., 711 Fed. Appx. 773 (6th Cir. 2017)