What If I Can’t Work After a Car Accident in Ohio? | Kisling, Nestico & Redick
Kisling, Nestico & Redick, LLC Hurt in a Car? Call KNR.
Car accidents leave you in a stressful position, especially if you can’t work. Our Ohio car accident lawyers can handle your case and answer your questions, so your recovery is the only thing demanding your attention. Call Kisling, Nestico & Redick right away.

What Happens If You Can’t Work Following a Car Accident

If you were injured in the accident, your stress is just beginning. Medical treatment is expensive, and if you can’t work, you are probably seriously worried about your finances.

At Kisling, Nestico & Redick, our experienced Ohio car accident attorneys can help you navigate your options and work to recover all the compensation you are entitled to under the law. Car accidents leave you vulnerable, especially if you can’t work. Let us answer your questions, file the paperwork, and demand what’s right.

Call us at 1-800-HURT-NOW to discuss your next steps during a free, no-risk consultation.

Compensation for Your Lost Income

If you suffer an injury in a car accident that prevents you from working, your insurance company may pay for your lost wages. Receiving lost wages usually depends on your injury and your insurance company. But there are several categories of reimbursement you may qualify for.

Lost Wages

Lost wages are what you would have been paid during the time you were unable to work. For example, if you broke your leg and couldn’t work for six months, you may be entitled to six months’ pay that you would have been paid if your leg had been healthy.

Lost Earning Capacity

Lost earning capacity refers to money you lost out on because your injuries prevented you from making as much as you did before. This is usually seen after a severe injury that led to a long-term disability. For example, if you broke your leg and were forced to use a wheelchair for the rest of your life, your ability to earn as much as you did before is reduced. Therefore, you may be entitled to compensation for your lost earning capacity.

Lost Opportunities

If your injury costs you an opportunity for employment or payment, you may be entitled to compensation for that too. This happens to independent contractors or people who work on commission after suffering an injury. In addition, if you missed a job interview due to your injury, you may be reimbursed for those potential earnings.

Will Insurance Cover Lost Wages After a Car Accident?

If you can’t work after a car accident, the following insurance coverage plans may compensate you for wages or earning opportunities you lost:

Liability Bodily Injury Coverage

If your accident occurred because of another driver’s negligence, you might be able to use their at-fault liability coverage to submit a claim for your lost wages.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

If you’re injured by an uninsured or inadequately covered driver, and you have uninsured or underinsured coverage, you may be compensated through that policy.

Personal Injury Protection Coverage

Required in some states, personal injury plans will pay for injuries and lost wages up to the policy limit. It is important to note that personal injury protection coverage pays you even if the accident was your fault.

Make sure to check with your insurance agent or car accident attorney for other ways to recover damages for lost wages and opportunities.

What if You’re Injured While Driving for Your Employer

Workplace vehicle accidents are more common than you think. Whether you were in a company vehicle or driving your personal car while on the clock, your ability to recover compensation for your lost income will depend on various factors. These include whether you were driving within the scope of your employment, who’ at fault for the accident, and what insurance policies apply.

For instance, if you were injured while driving a company vehicle, you may be entitled to your lost wages through a worker’s compensation claim or your employer’s insurance coverage. However, if you are injured in car accident in your personal vehicle, you may have to file a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance.

How to Get Compensated if You Can’t Work

If you missed work due to an injury caused by someone else, here are some things to do so you are properly compensated.

  • Physician’s Report – You need a report from your doctor acknowledging that your injury prevented you from working. The report should detail your injury and how long it prevented you from working. The report should also include any treatments, prescriptions, and medical bills. Also, check if your insurance company has a report your doctor should fill out.
  • Employer Report – You also need your employer to verify that you missed work due to your injuries. Depending on your field of work, this could be a schedule of shifts or access to your tax returns.
  • Police Report – Finally, you must provide a copy of the Ohio police report of your accident. This should include at least a preliminary mention of any injuries, which will provide a foundation for your claims.

Speak with KNR About What You Deserve

Not being able to work, under any circumstances, can place you in duress. If a car accident injury is keeping you from earning money, you may feel helpless. At Kisling, Nestico & Redick, we know what to do.

If you are suffering through no fault of your own and worried about money coming in, we’re here to help. Our Ohio lawyers know how to navigate insurance claims and what compensation you can recover. Let us explain your options and get you what’s right. Your only priority should be getting back to full health.

Our offices are conveniently located throughout Ohio, including in Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland. As one of the largest personal injury firms in the state, we have fought for injured Ohioans for over 15 years and know how to get results.

If are now hurt and out of work after a car crash, call KNR at 1-800-HURT-NOW for a free consult. We don’t earn a fee unless you recover.

{“@context”:”https://schema.org”,”@type”:”FAQPage”,”mainEntity”:[{“@type”:”Question”,”name”:”What happens if I’m out of work due to a car accident?”,”acceptedAnswer”:{“@type”:”Answer”,”text”:”If you can’t work after a car accident, the following insurance coverage plans may compensate you for wages or earning opportunities you lost: Liability Bodily Insurance Coverage, Uninsured Motorist Coverage, or Personal Injury Protection Coverage.”}}]}