4 Added Coverages Every Ohio Driver Should Consider Before an Accident | KNR
Kisling, Nestico & Redick, LLC Hurt in a Car? Call KNR.
Written by
KNR Legal
Date posted
March 2, 2015

In Ohio, it is illegal to drive without car insurance. Certain types of car insurance are required, and others are optional.

Akron drivers are required to carry the following:

  • Liability coverage in the amount of $25,000 for injuries or death per person.
  • Liability coverage in the amount of $50,000 for injuries or death per accident.
  • Property damage coverage in the amount of $25,000.

Most drivers will feel safe purchasing the minimum car insurance required by the state, but in the event of a serious accident, will they have sufficient coverage for long-term medical treatment and lost wages?

Maybe not.

Drivers would be surprised to learn that for not a lot more money, they can add extra coverage to their auto insurance policies. Here are the additional coverages drivers should consider when purchasing and renewing their auto insurance policies.

# 1. Comprehensive Coverage

Comprehensive coverage does not pay for damages that are incurred during an accident with another vehicle. Rather, comprehensive coverage provides you with financial compensation for damages such as vandalism, theft, a natural disaster (such as a fire), or other types of unpredictable and unavoidable accidents.

# 2. Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Insurance agents highly recommend Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage. This type of insurance coverage compensates you for an accident that caused by an uninsured driver, or a driver who doesn’t have enough insurance to pay for the extent of your injuries/damages. While uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage isn’t required, it can be a big help, especially if you’re involved in a hit and run accident.

# 3. Collision Coverage

The mandated liability coverage mentioned above covers damages that you cause to another person during an accident. However, if you cause an accident, the required coverage doesn’t typically cover damages that you or your vehicle has sustained. Collision coverage will pay for the cost of repairs to your vehicle in the event that you cause an accident.

# 4. Emergency Roadside Service Coverage

Emergency roadside service (ERS) coverage, and what it includes, differs depending on the insurance company you choose. Under Esurance’s ERS plan, for example, ERS can be used for emergency fees, such as towing costs in the event of an accident, in an amount of up to $75 per incident.

What should I do if I’m involved in an accident?

If you’re involved in an accident in Akron, Ohio, the state’s at-fault car insurance laws stipulate that the insurance company of whoever caused the accident is responsible for paying damages. If you’ve been seriously injured and need more money that an insurance policy offers or if you wish to pursue a claim outside of the car insurance system, you have the right to do so.

At Kisling, Nestico & Redick our Akron car accident attorneys can help you understand the different ways to recover damages after an accident, including filing a personal injury claim for damages. For more information, call us today at 800-HURT-NOW.