Your Ohio Car Accident Claim was Denied: Now What?Jan 08, 2020 Car Accidents Insurance Issues Traffic Accidents
Posted by: Kisling, Nestico & Redick, LLC
Car accidents impact many throughout Ohio every year. While hundreds are killed, many thousands sustain serious injuries. Insurance companies offer hope to those who need financial help with medical bills and daily expenses during their time of need. However, insurance providers are for-profit companies, and they work to reduce what they pay out.
The claims process following a car accident is generally complex, and many victims end up having valid claims denied. Having a skilled personal injury lawyer can help you secure a fair recovery that is sufficient to provide for you and your family. Do not delay in contacting a knowledgeable Ohio personal injury lawyer after a serious car accident.
Kisling, Nestico & Redick has decades of experience representing accident victims and we know what it takes to get what’s right from insurance companies. We will investigate your case, compile all the necessary evidence, and aggressively negotiate on your behalf.
After A Denied Car Accident Claim: Demand Answers
The insurance companies generally want cases to go away quickly. They are concerned about losing profits if they pay out too much to those seeking damages.
Our attorneys have worked with many clients who are shocked and upset after having their claim denied by their very own insurance provider. Unfortunately, many denials come with little or no explanation, and the injured party is left uncertain about what to do next.
Having a skilled lawyer from the beginning is essential to secure the compensation you need. In addition to requesting that the insurance company act in a timely manner, your lawyer can write a demand letter if your claim is denied. This basically asks them to properly explain the grounds for their decision. Their response will provide valuable insight into their process as your lawyer proceeds with your case for compensation.
Why Was Your Claim Denied
The insurance company will look for any reason to deny your claim. However, they also understand that you might have a lawyer who will continue to pressure them to pay you the damages you need.
There are various reasons why your insurance claim may be denied. Some of the most common reasons include:
- The policy has lapsed – Perhaps premiums were no longer being paid in a timely manner when your accident occurred. The insurance company may try to argue the policy had ended.
- The policy excludes your type of accident – The company may try and argue that the policy doesn’t cover the harm that you sustained. The term “act of God” may be used in this argument.
- The insurer was not properly notified – The policy in question may require notification within a certain amount of time after an accident. They might try and get out of paying if they were not immediately notified.
Next Steps After a Denial: A Lawsuit May Be Necessary
You are not out of options simply because an insurance company has initially denied your claim. Ohio law grants you the right to pursue compensation through a lawsuit if you are harmed by the negligence of someone else. After your claim for damages has been denied, your lawyer may file a lawsuit against one or both of the following:
- The negligent party in your accident – Your lawyer might be able to demonstrate how the other party’s negligent actions directly resulted in your harm. In this case they would be personally liable to pay damages.
- The insurance company that denied the claim – Insurance companies must handle claims in good faith. Failing to do this can be grounds for a lawsuit to compensate you for the harm you have suffered.
Hiring a skilled personal injury lawyer as soon as possible is very important if you are ever injured in a car accident. It allows for a strong case to be built, and it lets the insurance company know that you are serious about recovering compensation.
Insurance companies are wary of fighting with experienced personal injury lawyers. They will typically want to provide a fair financial settlement offer rather than losing a long legal battle at trial.
Contact KNR after Your Car Accident
The insurance company has the resources to help you after an injury causing accident, but they might decide that they don’t need to. Having a knowledgeable and experienced personal injury lawyer is critical if your or a loved one are in this position. Skilled legal counsel can help you understand all of your options for recovering financial compensation and will know the best way to secure a fair result.
We have decades of experience holding insurance companies accountable and a long record of recovering what our clients deserve. Contact Kisling, Nestico & Redick to speak with one of our Ohio attorneys about your case.