Teen Driver Guide: Choosing the Best and Safest Car for YouJan 20, 2015 Car Accidents Uncategorized
Posted by: Kisling, Nestico & Redick, LLC
Buying a car for your teenager can be nerve-wracking. With their inexperience – and in some cases immaturity – teen drivers are at greater risk of an accident. You are probably looking for the safest cars for teens and want one that is affordable.
The following takes a look at some of the best cars for teens and new drivers from the Insurance Institute from Highway Safety’s (IIHS) list of recommended used vehicles for teen drivers. It separates the vehicles – all under $20,000 – by vehicle type and size.
But first, the IIHS reminds parents that teens should not have access to vehicles with high horsepower and that bigger, heavier vehicles can provide greater protection in the event of an accident. It also recommends vehicles with electronic stability control. Finally, it recommends making sure that the vehicle has good safety ratings from the IIHS and four or five stars from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Large Cars for Teens
The IIHS lists six large cars it deems a good fit for teen drivers.
- Saab 9-5 sedan (2010 model year and later)
- Lincoln MKS (2009 and later)
- Buick Regal (2011 and later)
- Ford Taurus (2010 and later)
- Buick LaCrosse (2010 and later)
- Volvo S80 (2007 and later)
Midsize Cars for Teen Drivers
Its list of midsize cars for teen drivers is much longer. Below is just a few good options spanning the price range.
- Toyota Prius V (2012 and later)
- Audi A4 (2009 and later)
- Hyundai Sonata (2011 and later)
- Volkswagen CC (2009 and later)
- Mercury Milan (2010-11, built after November 2009)
- Ford Fusion (2010 and later, built after April 2010)
- Volkswagen Jetta (2009 and later)
SUVs for Teens
It recommends a variety of small, midsize, and large SUVs. Below are some of the choices.
- Honda CR-V (2012 and later)
- Subaru Forester (2009 and later)
- Honda Element (2007 and later)
- Toyota Highlander (2008 and later)
- Ford Flex (2010 and later)
- Dodge Journey (2010 and later)
- GMC Acadia (2011 and later)
Finally, it recommends a few minivans for teen drivers, like the Honda Odyssey (2011 and later) and the Toyota Sienna (2011 and later).
An Attorney Can Help if Your Teen is in a Wreck
These can be safe cars for new drivers that are moderately priced. Review all of your options by consulting the IIHS, NHTSA, and other safety organizations. Do plenty of research and, perhaps most importantly, remind your teen to drive safe.
We hope you’ll never have to call us, but if your teen becomes involved in a wreck in Akron that another driver caused, call us to review legal options. Contact Kisling, Nestico & Redick at 1-800-HURT-NOW to discuss the case.