Whenever you realize you may be headed for a legal battle, whether it may be with an insurer or in the courtroom, it is important to take a step back and ask yourself, “What can I do to prepare for a personal injury case?” If you are gearing up for a fight or are afraid the other side is, then you need to seriously consider calling an attorney. A personal injury lawyer can explain your rights and legal options, as well as how you can best prepare for your personal injury case.
To discuss these issues and more, do not hesitate to call an Ohio personal injury attorney at Kisling, Nestico & Redick at 1-800-HURT-NOW or use our online form to schedule a free consultation. We are here to guide you through a personal injury claim as smoothly as possible while protecting your rights and fighting for you to receive the compensation you deserve under the law.
Preparing for Your Personal Injury Case
If you are moving forward with a personal injury claim, you should take the following steps:
- Talk with your lawyer about what to expect: If you have never been through an insurance claim or lawsuit process, it is important to speak with your attorney about the overall process. What are the steps or phases? When do you need to be involved and when will your attorney handle things? How long can the process take? Your lawyer can provide an overview of the claim or lawsuit process and will always explain what happens next.
- Gather and organize your documents: You probably have a number of different documents regarding the accident and in your injuries. These may include a police report, letters from your or other insurers, and medical records and bills. Keep careful track of these documents and store them in a safe place.
- Write down your experience: Memory is a tricky thing, and it can lessen over time. While everything is still relatively fresh, write down a detailed account of what happened. Include everything you can remember. This is not an official document, but it can help you prepare for giving your statement or being questioned in the future.
- Prepare for interviews: You will have to talk about your experience during a personal injury case. This may be while giving a statement to an insurance adjuster, in a deposition during a lawsuit, or in court. Even if your attorney has not suggested a time to prepare yet, do not hesitate to ask. Your lawyer can help you practice your statement in order to ensure you include all of the important details, and they can help you prepare to answer questions under pressure.
- Keep up with your medical care: No one enjoys going to doctors, taking medications, or having to endure painful treatments. However, when you are in the middle of a personal injury claim, you cannot stop your medical care. You need to keep up with all of your appointments and follow your physician’s advice. If you fail to do so, the other side could use this as evidence against you.
- Work with your attorney to handle injury-related expenses: It can take months or over a year to resolve a personal injury claim. In the meantime, you may be dealing with lost wages and numerous medical bills. You do not have to handle these all on your own. You should talk with your attorney about how to avoid being sent to collections or becoming broke by using all of your resources to pay the bills.
- Prepare for stress: It is safe to assume that your personal injury case will be a stressful and emotional time. One of the best things you can do is to try and prepare yourself for the difficulties ahead by building and relying on your support network. If you need more than your friends or family can provide, consider finding a support group in your area or seeing a counselor. Attending to your emotional needs after a harmful accident is just as important as obtaining medical care for your physical wounds.
Let Kisling, Nestico & Redick Help You
The best way to prepare for a personal injury case is to find the right law firm for you. At Kisling, Nestico & Redick, we have decades of experience helping accident victims move forward with insurance claims and lawsuits. We realize that this situation may be entirely new to you, which is why our Ohio personal injury attorneys will be next to you every step of the way, ensuring you are always aware of what is going on and what comes next.
To discuss how Kisling, Nestico & Redick can help you after someone causes you injuries, contact us at 1-800-HURT-NOW and schedule a free initial consultation.