Kisling, Nestico & Redick’s Canton bus accident lawyers can help if you’ve been hurt in a crash. .
We are proud to announce The Robert Redick Memorial Scholarship which awards $5,000 to a student pursuing higher-education.
KNR has a long tradition of public service in Ohio. From charitable donations to our volunteer work, Team KNR is proud to give back and ready to help.
Super Lawyers Magazine has named three of our attorneys to the Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists in 2022.
See how our case results have helped clients rebuild their lives.
A huge number of passengers travel via bus throughout the country every day. Students, commuters, and other travelers choose to travel via bus because it is often cheaper than air travel or other methods. With so many of these large vehicles on the road, it is no wonder there are thousands of bus crashes every year.
Busses and other commercial motor vehicles have a higher likelihood of fatal accident involvement per registered vehicle. According to a recent University of Michigan study, busses are involved in 63,000 traffic accidents each year.
When you are involved in a bus crash, you may have sustained a serious injury such as whiplash, other neck or spinal injuries, lacerations, or back injuries. If you have sustained an injury due to a bus accident, you may be entitled to take action and regain compensation for medical attention and other losses. Our Canton bus accident attorneys at Kisling, Nestico & Redick will work to ensure that you retain the best care and outcome for your bus accident-related injuries. Call us today at (330) 488-1234 or use our online contact form to reach out.
Common Causes of Bus Accidents in Canton
Busses can be convenient but they also can be dangerous. Because a fully loaded bus can weigh up to 42,000 pounds, bus accidents can be even more fatal than passenger vehicle accidents. Determining the cause of a bus crash is a crucial step because it defines who is potentially responsible for damages.
- Bus Driver Negligence: This is a leading cause of bus accidents. Oftentimes, laws that regulate bus driver behavior are disregarded or overlooked by companies, leading to overworked drivers. This can cause overtiredness, which can lead to fatal errors by the driver.
There are other laws that regulate how drivers are supposed to pass, turn, and regulate their speed. Drivers sometimes make mistakes because they are poorly trained or on their cell phones. Often when a driver causes an accident, the company that employed the driver is at fault. Types of driver negligence can include fatigue, drug or alcohol use, or distraction.
- Bus Company Negligence: Despite the fact that the motorcoach industry transports more than 700 million passengers every year in the US, certain regulations and record-keeping do not happen often, which can lead to fatal mistakes.
Busses require a great deal of maintenance to keep them operating on the roads in a safe way. When this does not happen, safety equipment, such as seat belts, becomes out of date and can cause injury in an accident.
- Inclement Weather: There are rare occasions in which bad weather can cause dangerous road conditions that lead to an accident.
- Blind Spots: Busses have very large blind spots and when a driver attempts to switch lanes without proper precaution, there can be collisions with other vehicles.
- Left Turns: Surprisingly, left turn bus accidents are common. If a driver does not adequately check their blind spot before making a left turn, an accident can occur.
- Another Driver: Other drivers can, unsurprisingly, cause accidents when they do not obey traffic regulations.
Common Injuries Related to Bus Accidents
Much like passenger vehicle accidents, bus accidents can range from a fender bender to a major collision. Because of this, bus injuries run the gamut from less serious to very serious.
Whiplash Injury: This term is used to describe any sort of damage to the soft tissue in one’s neck. This type of injury is typically caused by collision impact and it can manifest itself in many different ways. Symptoms include neck pain, tenderness, and swelling. If not properly treated, a whiplash injury can worsen.
- Broken Bones: Oftentimes bus accidents happen at very high velocities, which can mean that bones are more easily broken.
- Head and Spinal Cord Injuries: When brakes are hit suddenly or a bus is forced to stop, a passenger may hit their head on a seat or widow, which can cause anything from a minor concussion to brain damage.
- Lacerations: Cuts and lacerations (from broken glass or other impacts of a collision) can cause permanent scarring. These can range from minor to severe with heavy blood loss.
- Death: Unfortunately, bus crashes can cause wrongful death. If this happens to a loved one, a bus accident lawyer can help evaluate if you are in a position to claim damages of any kind.
Seeking Compensation After a Bus Accident
If you or a loved one sustained any type of injury in a bus accident due to the actions or negligence of a bus driver or company, you may be able to seek a bus injury claim. Medical costs and rehabilitation related to bus accidents can often be long-term and incredibly expensive. This is why it is imperative that you seek compensation for damages if you believe you are not at fault for your injuries.
Our KNR Canton bus accident attorneys can guide you through every step of understanding the legal process, help you get treatment, and assist you in seeking compensation for these injuries.
After sustaining an injury in a bus accident, you may wish to file a personal injury lawsuit, particularly if your injury occurred on the job or if you are seeking treatment for your injuries. You may be able to recoup a number of losses and sustain further rehabilitation in a Canton personal injury lawsuit. The bus injury attorneys at KNR have helped numerous Canton-area bus accident victims seek compensation for physical, psychological, and financial damages.
Our Canton Bus Accident Lawyers Can Help You
Our skilled legal team at Kisling, Nestico & Redick can help you seek compensation for any injuries sustained from a bus accident. We have 11 locations throughout Ohio, covering extensive ground in the state. In addition to bus accidents, our diverse team of attorneys has skills in numerous other legal areas including wrongful deaths, car accidents, work injuries, and motorcycle accidents.
If you have any questions regarding your case, call our Canton personal injury lawyers at (330) 488-1234 or contact us via our online contact form to schedule a free initial consultation with an experienced Ohio bus accident attorney.