Were you hurt in a fall because a business or property owner in Youngstown failed to keep you safe? Call the slip and fall lawyers at KNR. We’ll explain premises liability law and how to recover maximum compensation. Free Consults.
We are proud to announce The Robert Redick Memorial Scholarship which awards $5,000 to a student pursuing higher-education.
KNR has a long tradition of public service in Ohio. From charitable donations to our volunteer work, Team KNR is proud to give back and ready to help.
Super Lawyers Magazine has named three of our attorneys to the Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists in 2022.
See how our case results have helped clients rebuild their lives.
Youngstown Premises Liability Claims
Property owners have a responsibility to maintain their land and buildings for clients, residents, customers, or others authorized to be there. When property owners fail to fulfill their obligation, visitors run the risk of sustaining serious injuries
Slip and fall accidents, defective sidewalks, poor construction, unkept parking lots, neglected staircases, and aggressive pets are all examples of property hazards and potential premises liability accidents. And while the circumstances of your situation will be unique, if you are hurt because a business or property wasn’t kept safe, you may be eligible for compensation for your losses.
Property Accidents & Falls
Accidents at properties, like falls in the grocery store, are a common occurrence. A study by the US Department of Justice found premises liability cases were one of the most frequent types of personal injury cases in the US.
Premises Liability Accidents: Examples
- Slip-and-fall accidents, such as on wet/slippery parking lots, walkways, sidewalks, supermarket floors, etc.
- Trip-and-fall accidents resulting from cracked or corrupted sidewalks, loose extension cords or cables, torn carpet or messy rugs, and other walking hazards.
- Falls are often related to stairs, loose or missing railings, and construction site hazards.
- Swimming pool accidents
- Electrocution from faulty wiring
- Falling objects such as debris, products, rotating doors, tools, etc.
- Dog bites
- Water leaks or flooding
- Amusement Park accidents
- Chemical fumes or other toxins
- Elevator and escalator incidents, usually due to improper maintenance
Property Accidents: Common Locations
Locations where Ohio slip and fall claims and other premises-related accidents regularly happen include:
- Grocery Stores
- Retail Businesses
- Shopping Centers
- Parking Structures
- Pools & Rec Centers
- Private residences/apartments
- Commercial Buildings
- Entertainment or Sports Venues
- Professional offices
- Government buildings or offices
Youngstown Slip & Falls : Common Causes
While not every slip and fall rises to the level of neglect, a property accident can result from any number of causes:
- Poor Design
- Improper Maintenance/Upkeep
- Lax Security
- Cluttered Isles
- Open Manholes/Sewer Grates
- Ice or Snow in Walkway
- Wet Floors
- Improper Lighting
- Uneven/Defective Walkways
- Cracked Sidewalks
- Broken/Defective Stairs
- Tripping Hazards
- Lack of Signage
- Neglected Parking Lots
What to Do After a Slip and Fall?
A slip and fall is unexpected. Many people don’t know what steps to take. If you believe another party was responsible for your accident and need compensation to recover, our attorneys recommend that you:
- Get medical care as soon as possible and follow your physicians’ instructions.
- Document the name and location of the property.
- Obtain the names of the property owners and if relevant, the property managers.
- Take down the names and contact information of witnesses to your accident.
- Take photos and video of the scene and your injuries.
- Save the clothing and footwear that you were wearing at the time.
- Avoid making any statements to a business or insurance company.
- Call a local slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible.
Who’s Responsible for a Slip & Fall?
Just because you were injured on someone else’s property does not necessarily mean the property owner was negligent, even if the property was in an unsafe condition. To win a premises liability case, you must show that the property owner knew or should reasonably have known that the premises were unsafe or needed maintenance but failed to address the problem. You also must demonstrate that you were an authorized visitor on the property and not trespassing.
Proving Negligence Caused Your Fall
To successfully file a premises liability, claim or slip and fall lawsuit, you must establish:
- The property owner owed you a duty of care
- The property owner was aware or should have been aware of a hazard
- The property owner failed to remedy or warn about the hazard
- You were injured due to the hazard
- Medical expenses
- Loss of income
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Wrongful Death
- Answer your questions and concerns
- Keep you updated during all stages of the process
- Obtain medical records about the extent of your injury
- Identify the responsible party
- Determine the fair and full value of your damages
- Negotiate for maximum compensation
- Fight for everything you deserve in court if necessary
No matter how and where you sustained a premise injury, an accident might not be your fault. You may be able to gain compensation even if you were partially to blame. So, it is important to speak with an experienced attorney before making assumptions or statements about your injuries.
Premises Liability: Slip & Fall Compensation
Depending on the severity of your injuries and other factors involved, you may be able to recover compensation for the economic and non-economic damages related to your fall. This could be the difference in recouping the wages you lost, getting the medical treatment you need, and putting your life back together.
If you or a loved one suffered serious injuries in a Youngstown slip and fall, you could pursue an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. Whether you hurt your knee because a spill wasn’t properly cleaned or a loved one broke their leg in a parking lot, you may be entitled to:
Medical treatment and rehabilitation related to slip-and-fall injuries are often long-term and can be costly. That is why it is important to seek payment for all your damages if you believe you are not at fault and not rush into accepting a low-ball insurance settlement just to resolve things quickly.
KNR’s Youngstown Slip & Fall Lawyers Can Help
A serious injury after a fall can be painful and disrupt every part of your life. It’s often difficult to determine who is financially liable for property accidents, and cases can quickly become complex. Property owners and their insurance companies will seek to distance themselves and blame you for the incident.
Do not hesitate to seek legal help if you or a loved one are hurt on someone’s property. At KNR, our attorneys will:
Our team can guide you through every step of filing a slip and fall claim or premises liability lawsuit, fully document your financial losses, help you get appropriate medical treatment, and aggressively seek maximum compensation.
Contact KNR. Free Consults
If you or a loved one has been hurt on another’s property in or around Youngstown, Ohio, it’s important to know your legal options and how to financially recover for the harm done. Do not delay in calling an experienced lawyer or accept a settlement without getting legal advice. At KNR, we’ve helped numerous Youngstown-area injury victims gain all the compensation they need to recover from the physical, psychological, and financial damage caused by a serious fall.