Ohio Car Accident Settlements for Disc InjuriesJan 27, 2020 Car Accidents Injuries Personal Injury Traffic Accidents
Posted by: Kisling, Nestico & Redick, LLC
Back injuries are very common in car accidents and can include damage to the discs in your spinal column. A disc injury is not only very painful, it can have a lasting impact on your life.
Many people need years of medical attention and therapy when they injure their back in a car collision. Do not delay in contacting a skilled Ohio car accident injury lawyer if you are in this situation. At Kisling, Nestico & Redick, we have worked with countless car accident victims who have sustained disc injuries and helped them secure what they deserve.
These cases are complex, and the insurance companies involved may not be particularly easy to work with. We know that your life can become extremely difficult after a disc injury. But you are entitled to a fair financial recovery after being injured in an accident caused by the careless or negligent actions of someone else.
How Much Can You Expect from A Disc Injury Settlement?
Many people who are hurt in a car accident will find themselves with expensive medical bills that add up quickly. It’s important to get all of the necessary medical attention that your injury needs.
Our clients generally want to know how much money they can recover in a settlement or lawsuit that follows their car accidents. Ohio law allows for you to recover all of the compensation that you need in order to return to how you were before your accident. While money can’t cure everything, it can help you get your life back on track.
Every case is different, so the amount of damages you can expect depends on the details of your accident and injuries. Your lawyer will be able to give you a good idea of your compensation after carefully reviewing all the evidence.
With respect to the dollar amount you can recover, consider these figures:
- $25,000 per person – This is the minimum liability coverage a driver must purchase for each person they harm in a car accident. There is a $50,000 minimum per car accident.
- $250,000 – This is the cap you can recover for non-economic damages (like pain, suffering, emotional distress) in a lawsuit. If your settlement offer is not enough, your lawyer may proceed with a lawsuit for damages.
- No limit – There is no cap limit on economic damages that you can recover if you need to file a lawsuit for compensation. These damages include medical bills and lost wages, and you can recover as much as you are able to prove.
How A Lawyer Helps Recover a Reasonable Settlement
The insurance companies involved in your case will work hard to pay out as little as possible. They ideally would love for your case to end quickly. Insurance companies often achieve this by offering you small settlement offer for the least amount possible, hoping that you will accept it without much delay.
Having an experienced lawyer from the beginning will let the insurance companies know that you are serious about receiving a fair settlement offer.
Your lawyer must understand the nature of your disc injuries. Many car accident victims have herniated, bulging, or slipped discs. The insurance company may argue that you already had these issues before the accident, and therefore they don’t owe you money for them.
We are very familiar with these arguments, and know how to build a strong case for your recovery. A skilled lawyer will do the following in order to recover a fair settlement for a disc injury:
- Work closely with doctors – Understanding the full extent of your injuries is necessary. We must be able to prove how your spinal discs were damaged.
- Demonstrate your needs going forward – Your settlement offer must consider how your injury will impact your life in the years to come. Not only does this mean medical requirements, but limitations on routine activities that you once took for granted.
- Prove the liability of the other party – There cannot be any uncertainty as to who holds responsibility for the accident that caused your harm. We work closely with police and witnesses to make it clear whose insurance company owes you damages.
Steps to Recover A Favorable Settlement
A car accident can be very traumatic, and you can be badly hurt. While you must get yourself and your loved ones the medical attention you need, it’s never too early to consider the compensation you will need. Do the following to help your case for a fair settlement offer:
- Call a skilled lawyer – Your lawyer must have experience in car accidents, and know how to fully grasp the extent of your injuries. Our legal team has years of experience working with victims and negotiating with insurance companies.
- Keep records detailing your injuries – Take photographs and write down details of your back injury. These will help you recall details as time goes on, and they can serve as evidence in your claim for damages.
- Follow up with your doctor – Following your doctor’s orders can help you recover quickly, but it also can add credibility to your claim. Failing to do this will give the other side an opportunity to argue that your injuries must not be very severe.
Contact KNR After Sustaining A Disc Injury in A Car Accident
Disc injuries can significantly change every aspect of your life. You may be in terrible pain, and it can be difficult to do things that once were easy. Having a skilled lawyer will allow for you to recover a full and fair injury settlement without unnecessary delays. The insurance company has many resources, and their lawyers will be working to keep your settlement low. Do not delay in contacting a knowledgeable lawyer after your car accident. KNR can be the difference in recovering what you need.