A spinal injury can change your life. If you or a loved one are suffering because of someone’s negligence, you deserve the chance to hold them accountable. Call the Toledo spinal cord injury lawyers at KNR to recover what you are entitled to.
Based on our client-first approach and 15-year fight for victims, Newsweek named KNR among the best personal injury attorneys 2019-2020.
In 2020, KNR is putting the focus on deserving individuals of all age groups throughout Ohio. We believe that YOU make our world better.
Super Lawyers Magazine has named five of our attorneys to the Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists in 2020.
KNR is celebrating 15 years of fighting for Ohio’s injured. We’re proud to be your advocates and neighbors. Now and tomorrow.
Few injuries are as serious as those involving the spine. Your injuries can make it impossible to live normally and the damage can be permanent.
Do not hesitate to contact our Toledo injury lawyers. It’s important to seek compensation from the party who caused you harm. Victims often cannot return to work after spinal trauma and the medical bills are usually very high.
Kisling, Nestico & Redick has helped many clients after horrific accidents greatly impacted them and their families. We strongly advise you to contact our legal team to discuss your options for recovery after suffering a spinal cord injury.
The Spinal Cord Is Very Important
Your spinal cord relays messages between your brain and your body. Running from the base of your brain and down your back, it is protected by the spinal column which consists of 33 vertebrae bones. Unfortunately, an injury can result in devastating and permanent damage.
Unlike other body parts, the spine does not heal easily after an injury. Every spinal cord injury is unique, but medical professionals categorize spinal damage as:
- Cervical nerve injury – This happens at the top of your spinal cord that is closest to your brain. These are the most serious types of spine damage, and they can result in full-body paralysis and issues with certain organs such as your lungs.
- Thoracic nerve injury – Located under the cervical nerves and in the middle of your back, this tissue can still cause significant damage in the event of an injury. Harm to thoracic nerves can result in difficulty using your legs or hips.
- Lumbar and sacral nerve injury – Spinal damage at the lowest part of your back can cause issues that require special equipment to help the function of your bowels and bladder.
Spinal Cord Injuries Are Common
The Centers for Disease Control reports about 12,000 people affected every year by a spinal cord injury in the United States. The consequences of spinal damage can last a lifetime. And your lawyer must build a strong case for the other party’s negligence. Otherwise, it may not be possible to recover the compensation you need.
Medical Care for a Toledo Spinal Injury
Our Toledo spinal cord injury lawyers have represented many clients with severe spinal damagedamage. Some of the most common accidents that result in harm to a victim’s spine include:
- Car accidents – Over one-third of spinal cord injuries happen in traffic accidents. Recently a large collision on Interstate 75 in Toledo resulted in multiple injury victims and at least one person with serious harm to their spine.
- Boat accidents – Violent collisions are unfortunately common on the Maumee River and on Lake Erie near Toledo. Being hit by a boat as you swim or being ejected from a boat can result in a broken spine and tears to your spinal cord.
- Slip and falls – A dangerous or damaged walkway can result in a fall that causes harm to your neck or back.
- Medical malpractice – Doctors often have to perform procedures that affect tissue near your spinal cord. A doctor can cause serious damage if they fail to practice in a responsible manner.
- Defective products – Powerful vehicles, tools, and machines that we use every day can cause terrible injuries if they are improperly built or designed.
- Sport and recreational accidents – Many people in northwest Ohio are injured playing sports or engaging in recreational activities. Your injuries can become very serious and even result in permanent disability if you sustain a tear or hard impact on your spinal cord.
Injuries that Result From Spinal Cord Damage
Doctors identify spinal damage as either complete or incomplete. Complete injuries are the total loss of sensory or function below the point of the damage. An incomplete injury does not totally destroy the nerve tissue. It’s possible to retain some sensory or function below the point of harm to your spinal cord.
Either way, spinal injuries often require extensive medical attention. And you may need continued help for years.
The most common consequences of an accident that damages your spinal cord are:
- Loss of sensation – Accidents that don’t fully severe your spinal cord can still impair the ability of your brain to communicate with the rest of your body. This can result in numbness and tingling throughout your body.
- Foot drop – Many accident victims with an injured spinal cord suffer from the inability to raise the front part of their foot. This issue generally requires mobility equipment to help those affected.
- Paraplegia – Damage to the lower extremities may make it impossible or extremely difficult to walk on your own. While your arms may work fine, you may also suffer from certain organ issues.
- Quadriplegia – Your arms and legs can be impacted when you sustain damage higher up on your spinal cord. This may require extensive assistance for basic movement over the rest of your life.
With considerable experience helping local injury victims, let us guide and assist you with documenting the medical care and costs associated with spinal truama. We have strong relationships with many of the excellent hospitals and trauma centers in Toledo, including:
- ProMedica Toledo Hospital
- Mercy Health – St. Anne Hospital
- Mercy Health Children’s Hospital
- Other local ERs
Spinal Injury Compensation
An accident that damages your spine will have a long-lasting impact. You will likely need to see many medical professionals, and it can be difficult or impossible to return to work.
The cost of a spinal cord injury is immense due to hospitalization for a long time afterward. The Christopher Reeve Foundation has found that the average cost of medical attention for a quadriplegia victim is over $1,000,000 in the first year.
For these reasons, you must seek a skilled and experienced spinal cord injury law firm. The other parties and their insurance providers will work hard to pay you as little as possible. Your spinal injury attorney must understand how to investigate your accident and work closely with your doctors to fully document what you deserve.
As Toledo spinal cord injury attorneys with years of experience, we understand how your entire family can be affected after your accident. Compensation that you recover after a spine injury can help you with the following:
- Expenses for current and future doctors’ visits and surgeries
- Physical and emotional therapy needs going forward
- Lost wages and lost future earning capacity
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Necessary modifications to your home, vehicle, or workplace
- Pain and emotional distress
- Punitive damages if the responsible party exhibited extremely reckless or malicious behavior
If you suffered a spinal injury in Lucas County because someone was negligent, you deserve to hold the liable party accountable. KNR can guide you through the legal process, help you get treatment, negotiate with the insurance company, and fight for everything you deserve.
We have helped numerous spinal injury victims recover what they need. For example, KNR reached a $100,000 settlement for the policy limits for a Greyhound bus passenger when the bus was struck from behind, causing a severe spinal injury.
A Lawyer From Kisling, Nestico, & Redick Can Help
A spinal injury can be catastrophic. It’s very important to pursue your legal options and recover damages from the negligent party. Given Ohio’s strict statute of limitations for personal injury, we encourage you to contact a skilled accident lawyer without delay.
Our Toledo spinal cord injury lawyers know how complex your case can be, and understand how important financial help is for you and your family.