People are bitten by dogs every day and the injuries can be severe. You are probably in a lot of pain and dealing with expensive medical care. At KNR, our Toledo dog bite lawyers understand this is a difficult time and know what it takes to secure the compensation you need.
We are proud to announce The Robert Redick Memorial Scholarship which awards $5,000 to a student pursuing higher-education.
KNR has a long tradition of public service in Ohio. From charitable donations to our volunteer work, Team KNR is proud to give back and ready to help.
Super Lawyers Magazine has named three of our attorneys to the Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists in 2022.
See how our case results have helped clients rebuild their lives.
While most pets never hurt anyone, there are frequent cases when dogs attack. Even a brief incident can leave you with a serious bite injury that will require immediate medical attention.
Because dog owners have a responsibility to protect others from harm caused by their pets, consulting with our skilled Toledo injury lawyers can help you understand your options. Our injury lawyers have worked with many animal bite victims, and we understand how important compensation can be when you are injured due to a dog bite.
Contact Kisling, Nestico & Redick to speak with one of our experienced dog attack lawyers in Toledo. We are familiar with how Ohio personal injury law will apply to your case.
Dog Bites Are Common in Toledo
According to the Centers for Disease Control, there are almost 5,000,000 dog bites in the United States every year. Ohio has a significantly higher average than most states, ranking third for dog attacks.
Dog attacks frequently strike municipal or delivery workers as they travel into neighborhoods throughout the Toledo area for work. Furthermore, victims are often bitten by a dog when outdoors in recreational areas like the Maumee Bay State Park.
Some of the most alarming dog bite statistics include:
- About 800,000 annual dog bite victims in the United States need emergency medical care
- Dog breeds that bite the most are Chihuahuas, Bulldogs, Pit Bulls, and German Shepherds
- Over half of dog bite victims are children
- Approximately one in four dog bites happens when the dog is chained or on a leash
- Over 70% of dog bites happen on the victim’s hands, arms, or legs
- Over two thirds of fatal dog attack victims are under the age of 10 years
Establishing Liability After a Toledo Dog Bite
Toledo city and Ohio laws establish a dog owner’s responsibilities. For example, Toledo’s chapter 1706 of its local ordinances covers dog owners. Specifics include a duty to keep dangerous dogs secured in a cage or on a leash and to provide assistance if their dog bites someone.
Your dog bite law firm should be familiar with local laws and statutes as well as Ohio’s accident laws and duties for dog owners.
Ohio’s personal injury law may allow for your dog bite attorney to pursue a strict liability case against the owner for a dog that attacked you. This means that you will not have to show that the owners should have been aware of unreasonable dangers with their pets.
Instead, they are responsible since the dog in question is their property. No matter the details of your case, your attorney will have to successfully argue against the defenses of the other party if you are to recover compensation. Elements that must be demonstrated by your attorney include:
- Your injuries were caused by the other person’s dog
- You did not tease or provoke the dog in any way to expect an attack
- You were not committing a crime, or attempting to commit one, when you were bitten
- Your harm can be clearly demonstrated by things like medical bills, lost wages, etc
Dog Bites Can Inflict Very Serious Damage
The injuries that you sustain in a dog attack can be traumatizing, and you may be affected for a long time or even the rest of your life. Do not hesitate to seek emergency medical help after a bite from a dog or other animal. It’s important for you to have legal counsel who understands how to determine the complete extent of your injuries.
As Toledo dog bite lawyers, we work with our clients’ doctors and therapists in order to determine the complete care that you’ll need in order to get better. You cannot expect to recover appropriate compensation if your lawyer fails to do this.
Every dog bite is unique, and the damage can be extremely serious. A dog does not only have sharp teeth, but they instinctively bite in a fashion that allows them to inflict as much harm as possible. The tissue will often be ripped apart, and it can be difficult or impossible for it to fully heal.
Common injuries that victims sustain in a dog bite include:
- Broken or fractured bones due to bite or falling down
- Deep and painful cuts that can cause a lot of blood loss
- Torn muscles or ligaments
- Damaged joints due to tears or broken bones
- Transmission of disease such as rabies
- Organ damage through punctures or infection
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
Steps to Take After a Toledo Dog Attack
Your health and wellbeing are in great danger in the event of a dog attack. The first thing that you must do is get yourself and your loved ones to safety. This can be very difficult in certain circumstances. Your injuries can make it hard for you to move, and your escape to safety can be blocked by a dangerous dog. Once getting to safety, call for emergency help. Police and medical first responders help many victims of dog attacks, and they know how to get you to safety and the help that you need. Once you are no longer in danger, we encourage you to take the following steps:
- Seek medical help – You may be rushed to the hospital, or your injuries may be mild enough to allow for you to be driven by someone in their car. Either way, a dog bite must be immediately checked out by a doctor, and don’t forget to explain that you were bitten by a dog.
- Call a lawyer – Dog bites can cost you significant amounts of money for medical help, and you might be unable to return to work for a long time. An experienced Toledo dog attack lawyer can help you through every step as you seek the damages you deserve.
- Follow up with police – It’s important to report your incident to the police so as to have an official record of the attack. Your lawyer can help you work with law enforcement to report your bite and also make sure the dog doesn’t pose a danger to others.
- Take your doctor’s advice – Many people fail to follow through with their medical checkups and the advice of their doctors. This can not only make physical recovery more difficult, but it can reduce the likelihood of a successful financial recovery in a lawsuit.
What Kind of Compensation Can I Get for Dog Bites?
Following a dog bite a person might seek compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Lost income
- Loss of consortium, or loss of familial relationships
- Mental anguish
- Physical limitations
Medical treatment and rehab related to dog bites can be long-term and costly. KNR has helped numerous dog bite victims get compensation for their needs. Let us guide you through the legal process, help you get treatment, negotiate with the insurance company, and fight for everything you deserve.
Toledo Dog Bite FAQs
1. What Is a Dog Bite Injury Worth?
2. Is The Dog Owner Always to Blame for Dob Bites?
3. What If I Was Playing With the Dog That Bit Me?
4. What If I Was Bitten on Someone’s Property?
5. What Insurance Covers Dog Bites?
The Toledo Dog Bite Attorneys At KNR Can Help
Dog attacks are violent and can inflict terrible pain. It’s important to act without delay. Ohio’s statute of limitations requires personal injury claims to be filed within two years of the injury. This does not give your attorney a lot of time.
Our skilled Toledo dog bite lawyers know how to investigate your case. We will determine who is at fault and help you recover the damages you deserve. However, gathering evidence and negotiating with dog liability insurance companies may take longer than you think. Therefore, it’s strongly advised that you call our office as soon as possible after an attack.
Contact Kisling, Nestico & Redick to speak with a Toledo lawyer about how we can help you. Our firm has helped many Ohio residents after serious injury, and we know how important financial help is to your recovery.