Did you incur injuries in a bush crash? If so, call the Toledo bus accident lawyers at Kisling, Nestico & Redick for help.
We are proud to announce The Robert Redick Memorial Scholarship which awards $5,000 to a student pursuing higher-education.
In 2020, KNR is putting the focus on deserving individuals of all age groups throughout Ohio. We believe that YOU make our world better.
Super Lawyers Magazine has named three of our attorneys to the Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists in 2021.
See how our case results have helped clients rebuild their lives.
Thousands of people in Toledo and northwestern Ohio take a bus every day as they commute to school or work; many bus carriers transport people between towns in Ohio and to destinations out of state. Bus drivers must be very careful when operating these large vehicles because a collision with a bus can be devastating for the other party. Your car is no match for a bus that weighs many thousands of pounds and pedestrians sometimes an oversight by the driver which can result in terrible harm to a victim. Do not hesitate to contact one of our Toledo bus accident lawyers if you have been injured in a collision with one of these vehicles. You have the right to seek compensation from a private carrier or government administration that is responsible for your injuries. However, given the complexity of most bus accident cases, we encourage you to seek skilled legal help without delay.
Kisling, Nestico & Redick have represented many injury victims in Toledo and throughout Ohio. Contact one of our experienced personal injury attorney to discuss your case and how we can help you seek the compensation you and your family need. Call us today at (419) 324-8205.
Bus Accident Claims Can Become Very Complex
The harm that you suffer in an accident with a bus can be very serious. However, the process of recovering compensation from the negligent party can become complicated. Bus accidents are legally very different than normal passenger car wrecks, and your lawyer must understand how to successfully handle these claims. A commercial bus owned by a private company is regulated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration as well the Ohio Department of Transportation. School bus carriers must abide by rules set forth by the Ohio Department of Education as well as federal transportation regulations. While you can sue a city or town after an accident with a public bus, your lawyer must follow the pre-filing requirements necessary for legal claims against Ohio city governments.
If your lawyer is unfamiliar with the many state and federal regulations that different bus carriers must follow, it can be impossible to identify negligence in your case for damages. BusesBuses and other commercial drivers not only need to follow the general rules of the road, but they have a higher degree of responsibility for their actions. The many government safety regulations that apply to buses are concerned with the following:
- Vehicle maintenance requirements
- Bus driver training and licensing
- Driver hours of service and keeping of time logs
- Score systems to identify drivers that need more training or must be removed from the road
- Accountability for employers who hire dangerous or inexperienced commercial drivers
- Emergency equipment requirements for buses
- Protocol for drivers and employers to deal with bus emergencies
There Are Many Ways a Bus Driver Can Cause a Terrible Accidents
Bus drivers can carry dozens of people at once, and their large vehicles can inflict great damage on others in the event of an accident. While most bus drivers are properly trained and work with great care, there are unfortunately numerous bus wrecks every day in Ohio. The Ohio Department of Public Safety reported that there were over 3,600 bus accidents reported in 2016 alone. Our bus injury lawyers understand that we must determine the exact cause of your accident in order to build a strong case for your financial compensation. A bus driver or bus company can inflict terrible damage in a collision through the following acts of negligence:
- Lack of training – Buses are complex, and they can each be very unique. An improperly trained driver can cause a serious accident even in routine use of the vehicle.
- A distracted driver – Bus drivers must be paying attention to the streets, their passengers’ behavior, and their vehicles. A driver who is distracted for just one moment can cause an accident that has significant consequences for many people.
- Improperly maintained bus – Bus owners and operators are required to keep their buses in safe driving condition. Buses that have been neglected can fail when being driven, and accidents are especially common when they try and execute a turn or make a stop.
- Intoxicated driver – Bus drivers are sometimes found to be under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or prescription medication and cannot safely react to hazards or dangerous situations.
- Defective buses – A bus manufacturer can cause a terrible wreck if a crucial part of a bus is poorly designed or assembled. Your lawyer must understand how to investigate and pursue a highly complex defective product case.
How a Lawyer Can Help You After a Bus Accident
Your bus accident can leave you with serious physical harm and pain. These cases always involve many parties, and it can be difficult to know who holds responsibility for your damages. Do not delay in contacting an experienced Toledo bus accident lawyer. If you are in an accident with a bus owned or operated by the Toledo Area Regional Transit Authority, your case can get very complicated. Suing the city is possible, but Ohio law requires an official attempt to compromise between the parties before the suit proceeds to the Ohio Court of Claims. Cases against large bus companies can be complex and particularly aggressive. They may try and offer you a low financial settlement that is not enough for your injuries. For this reason, you must have a lawyer who knows how to negotiate your claim while also being prepared to take your case to trial.
Many lawyers who have worked on car accident cases are unfamiliar with investigating a bus collision and knowing how to file a claim against a large corporation or city government. However, the legal team at Kisling, Nestico, & Redick understand the entire bus injury claim process. We can help you recover compensation for the following:
- Medical costs – Your injuries can be catastrophic, and your medical bills can add up quickly. This includes past and future doctors’ visits, surgeries, and physical therapy.
- Lost wages – It might be impossible for a person hurt in a bus accident to return to work for a long time. You can recover lost wages as well as future earnings that are lost due to your injuries.
- Pain and suffering – The physical pain you have can be significant, and you and your family may suffer greatly. Damages can be recovered for these consequences of a bus accident.
- Wrongful death – You and your family can recover wrongful death compensation if a loved one is killed in a bus accident. These damages can cover things such as lost income and loss of companionship.
Steps You Should Take After Being in a Bus Accident
It’s important to try and get to safety as soon as possible if you are hit by a bus while in your car or on foot. After attempting to get somewhere safe, call 911 for emergency help. We strongly encourage injury victims to not put off medical attention for their injuries. Depending on the physical harm suffered, you may think that it’s unnecessary to go to the hospital or see a doctor. However, slight damage to your joints, organs, or head can quickly get worse if not properly treated. After calling for emergency help, be sure to do the following:
- Give a full report to police – It’s important to give your side of the story to law enforcement. A lawyer can help you follow up with them at a later date if necessary.
- Call an experienced bus accident lawyer – Your lawyer must understand how to investigate and pursue a bus accident claim. These cases can be complex, so call a skilled lawyer soon.
- Write down a list of events – Making a list of events as you remember them is important to helping you recall details as weeks and months go by. Share this list and any witness information with your lawyer.
- Follow your doctor’s orders – Make sure to be serious about your medical treatment, and ask your doctor how your injuries may affect you as time goes on.
A Lawyer from Kisling, Nestico, & Redick Can Help You
Accidents with buses are often very serious, and they can greatly impact the lives of many people. If you are the victim of a collision with a bus, you can require medical attention for months or even years. You have the right to seek compensation from a negligent bus driver or bus operator. However, these cases are complex, and they are not like normal car accident lawsuits. It’s important to have a lawyer who understands how to build a strong case for negligence, and how to win against a large bus company or city government. Our Toledo bus accident lawyers have years of experience, and we understand how important financial damages can be for you and your family after a serious wreck.
Contact Kisling, Nestico & Redick to speak with one of our Ohio personal injury lawyers about how we can help you after a bus accident. Our knowledgeable and compassionate legal team can help you through every part of the recovery process. Call our office in Toledo today at (419) 324-8205.