The Doctor or Urgent Care? Medical Care After a Car Accident | Kisling, Nestico & Redick
Kisling, Nestico & Redick, LLC Hurt in a Car? Call KNR.
Written by
KNR Legal
Date posted
October 16, 2019

The importance of seeking medical attention after a car accident shouldn’t be overlooked. Doing so can be the key to getting back to your pre-accident condition and recovering the maximum compensation you deserve.

So, the question becomes where should you go for medical attention after a car accident? Should you go to the doctor or urgent care? If you’ve sustained an injury in a car crash that was not your fault and once you get medical care, consult the Ohio car accident lawyers at Kisling, Nestico & Redick.

Call 1-800-HURT-NOW today for a free, no-risk consultation.

Why Medical Attention After a Car Accident Is Important

Even if you think you’re fine or your injury is no big deal, it’s imperative to visit a doctor immediately after a car accident. Many injuries are not apparent at first, so seeking medical attention can inform you of how seriously you’ve been hurt. You may be surprised to find out that even though you haven’t experienced any symptoms, your neck or back is out of alignment.

In addition, seeing a doctor right after a car accident can help if you choose to file a claim against the liable party. For example, a doctor can provide you with documentation that indicates that you have been hurt by the crash and require treatment.

This documentation can serve as valuable evidence and increase your chances of being compensated for your doctor’s visits, surgeries, medications, physical therapy, assistive devices, and other medical costs.

If you wait to see a doctor, the at-fault party’s insurer may deny your claim or try to get you to accept a low ball offer based on the fact that it was not severe enough for you to seek treatment for right away. Therefore, seeking immediate medical attention is vital.

Doctor vs. Urgent Care

After a car accident, you may be wondering where you should go to seek medical attention. Your primary care doctor and urgent care are likely the first two places that come to mind. If your injury is not life-threatening and your primary care doctor can fit you in quickly, it’s a good idea to go to them.

You likely already have a relationship with your doctor and may feel more comfortable with them than a doctor you’ve never met before. They may also have an easier time diagnosing you because they know your medical history.

In the event your primary care doctor isn’t able to see you within 72 hours of the crash, the urgent care center is the way to go. Urgent care can provide you with the medical care you need when you are unable to see your doctor because they are booked up, their office is closed, or your medical condition occurred after business hours.

Urgent care doctors can treat a variety of injuries including cuts, sprains, and mild to moderate back problems. They can also refer you to a specialist if necessary. Of course, if your injury is an emergency you should go to the emergency room.

Some examples of emergency injuries after a car accident include severe burns, uncontrollable bleeding, major broken bones, and breathing difficulties.

Injured in a Car Accident? Contact KNR

If you’ve been hurt in a car crash that was the result of another party’s negligent acts, reach out to Kisling, Nestico & Redick. We can help you collect the full and fair compensation you may be entitled to. Call us at 1-800-HURT-NOW today and set up a free, no-risk consultation. There are no up-front fees and you owe nothing unless you recover compensation Let us review your injuries and advise you on your next steps.