Home / Our Practice Areas / Legal Options if a Prescription Drug or Medical Device Caused Harm / Cholesterol, Heart and Blood Pressure Drugs
Cholesterol, Heart and Blood Pressure Drugs
If you or a loved one have suffered due to cholesterol, heart, or blood pressure drugs, you should reach out to Kisling, Nestico & Redick to discuss your legal options during a risk free case consultation.
Drugs prescribed for high cholesterol and high blood pressure are intended to improve your health and prevent future serious health issues. Their main focus is to reduce your risk of heart attacks and strokes. However, these drugs are not without their risks. The benefit you may find in reducing your cholesterol levels or blood pressure can be offset or eliminated by the side effects. Depending on a number of factors, you may experience debilitating side effects that make it impossible to continue your life as usual. You could also face devastating consequences, such as an increased risk of organ failure, cancer, or birth defects.
If you or a loved one have been hurt by a cholesterol, heart, or blood pressure drug, the best thing to do is call us at Kisling, Nestico & Redick to schedule a risk-free consultation. These drugs are meant to improve your health and quality of life and stave off a potentially debilitating or fatal health event. By lowering your blood pressure and cholesterol, you are likely to live a longer, healthier life. A serious consequence of these medications can take that all away and can leave you with physical, emotional, and financial damages.
Heart, Cholesterol, and Blood Pressure Drugs Can Have Dangerous Side Effects
Some potentially dangerous types of heart, cholesterol, and blood pressure drugs include:
- Angiotensin Converting Enzyme (ACE) Inhibitors: ACE inhibitors, such as benazepril and quinapril, are prescribed to reduce high blood pressure. However, they should not be taken while pregnant as they increase the risk of the fetus developing spina bifida, hydrocephalus or fluid in the brain, and heart defects. They can also lead to renal impairment, and when they are taken with certain other medications, can increase the risk of renal failure. Other common side effects include higher potassium levels, fatigue, dizziness, headaches, loss of the ability to taste, and a dry cough.
- Angiotensin II Receptor Antagonists (ARBs): ARBs, including irbesarten and valsartan, are another high blood pressure medication with serious potential risks. These drugs have been tentatively connected to a higher risk of cancer and are confirmed to lead to fetal defects. Common side effects include dizziness, high potassium levels, and localized swelling.
- Short-Acting Calcium Channel Blockers: This type of medication relaxes blood vessels thereby improving blood flow and lowering blood pressure. However, it has been linked to increasing women’s risk of breast cancer and increased risks of heart attack and gastrointestinal bleeding. These drugs can lead to a variety of side effects like constipation, nausea, leg and feet swelling, headaches, dizziness, palpitations, drowsiness, and a rash.
- Warfarin: Warfarin, also sold as Jantoven and Coumadin, is a blood thinner. When taken while pregnant, it can cause heart defects, under-developed or incomplete tissue and organs, chest deformities, and more. It also increases your risk of severe bleeding. This risk is higher when warfarin is taken incorrectly or interacts with certain other prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs. A rare side effect of warfarin is the death of skin tissue.
- Diuretics: Diuretics, also known as water pills, can lead you to lose a great deal of sodium, potassium, and other important vitamins and minerals, which can lead to dangerous side effects. Too little potassium can lead to an abnormal heartbeat and heart failure. They may also increase the risk of diabetes in older patients. A specific diuretic, Hydrochlorothiazide, has been linked to an increase in non-melanoma skin cancer.
- Statins: Statins, such as Lipitor, Crestor, and Zocor, are prescribed to lower cholesterol as well as your risk of heart attack and stroke. However, they have been tentatively linked to higher blood sugar, muscle pain, and memory problems. Most patients never experience these side effects, however, it is possible for you to have an adverse reaction that impacts your life.
Your Legal Options When Your Heart, Cholesterol, or Blood Pressure Medication Causes You Harm
If a medication intended to improve your cholesterol, blood pressure, or a heart condition has caused you harm, your next step should be to contact us at Kisling, Nestico & Redick. We will thoroughly review your situation and assess whether you have a legal claim.
If there is evidence your injury is the result of a design, manufacturing, or warning defect related to the drug, and you wish to pursue compensation, then we will represent you throughout your product liability claim. We will handle the legal and procedural tasks, including filing the lawsuit, appearing in court, and negotiating with the responsible party to help you obtain the maximum compensation possible.
We will seek compensation for all of your medical expenses, lost wages, physical pain and suffering, mental anguish, disability, disfigurement, loss of enjoyment of life, and loss of consortium. We can also discuss the various factors that influence your potential settlement or jury award. In addition, we will ensure that all of your specific damages are calculated so you can be confident that any settlement you agree to is appropriate.
Has Your Drug Been Recalled?
If you are currently suffering significant side effects from a medication that has been pulled from the market, contact us at Kisling, Nestico & Redick immediately. A recall for a medication is a serious issue, and it may provide evidence that a drug you were prescribed is defective in some way.
Contact an Ohio Drug Injury Lawyer at Kisling, Nestico & Redick
At Kisling, Nestico & Redick, our team has years of experience in representing individuals after they have suffered harm due to a dangerous drug or medical device. We understand how devastating it can be for your medication to hurt you instead of help. We are here to give you the information and advice you need to move forward. By understanding your rights and legal options, you can decide the best course of action for your family.
If you wish to move forward with a product liability claim, our skilled and aggressive team will go to work for you. We will strive to protect your rights and obtain you the financial recovery you deserve under the law.