What Should I Do If I Suffered Prescription Drug Side Effects?
Sometimes the pills and other types of medication you take are dangerous, even causing you great harm because of serious side effects. Though the reasons for these side effects vary, they can be caused by physician, pharmacist, or even drug manufacturer error. For more information on your case, reach out to an Ohio product liability attorney right away.
We depend on drug manufacturers to develop prescription drugs that will assist in treating medical conditions, diseases, and injuries. In addition, we count on the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to make sure that all drugs that enter the market are safe.
Unfortunately, a prescription drug may lead to serious side effects and leave us in a worse condition than we were in prior to taking it. If you’ve experienced severe side effects after taking a prescription drug, you are likely asking yourself, “what should I do if I suffered serious prescription drug side effects?”
If you’ve been harmed by a dangerous prescription drug, you should begin by contacting an experienced Ohio personal injury attorney from Kisling, Nestico & Redick at 1-800-HURT-NOW for a free consultation of your case and explanation of other common personal injury FAQ.
What is a Side Effect?
A side effect is a negative issue that arises as a direct result of taking a drug. Anyone taking a prescription medication – regardless of their age, gender, or health status – can experience a side effect.
Examples of Serious Side Effects
While the majority of prescription drugs come with mild side effects such as headaches and dry mouth, there are others that can cause serious complications. You should consult one of our Ohio product liability attorneys immediately if you have taken a prescription drug that has led to any of the following life-altering side effects:
- Heart attack
- Blood clots
- Internal bleeding
- Liver damage
- Brain injury
- Kidney failure
Commonly Used Drugs That May Lead To Serious Side Effects
Some of the most commonly used prescription drugs that may lead to serious side effects include:
- Zofran- Zofran is a drug that is used to help pregnant women combat morning sickness. Unfortunately, it may cause kidney problems, heart murmurs, or inhibited fetal growth.
- Celebrex- Celebrex is used to treat the pain and swelling caused by arthritis and menstrual periods and has been linked to kidney problems, and high blood pressure.
- Bextra- Bextra is similar to Celebrex and was developed to treat arthritis and painful menstruation. It has been correlated with an increased risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Pradaxa- Pradaxa entered the market to prevent blood clots, but it may cause heart attacks and/or internal bleeding.
How Do Prescription Drugs That Cause Serious Side Effects Make It To Market?
Even though there are many regulations in place, prescription drugs that lead to serious side effects still make it to market. This may occur because the FDA regulates pharmaceutical drugs, only requiring manufacturers to prove that the benefits of their drugs outweigh their risks. It’s important to note that as long as drug manufacturers disclose potential side effects, they do not have to guarantee safety to drug users.
It is the responsibility of drug manufacturers, as opposed to the FDA, to test new drugs. Since drug manufacturers are in business to make money, they often skew tests in order to get a drug on the market as soon as possible. Even if drug tests lead to negative findings, drug manufacturers often downplay this information or never report it to the FDA.
Additionally, if a drug manufacturer develops a drug that meets a medical need that has not yet been met, they may be able to get it FDA-approved prior to completing clinical trials.
Who Can Be Held Liable For Drugs That Lead to Serious Side Effects?
There are a number of parties who can be held liable for drugs that lead to serious side effects. Some of these parties include:
- Drug manufacturer- If the drug manufacturer failed to perform adequate research or testing, did not warn potential users of the drug’s side effects, or improperly manufactured and/or packaged the drug, they may be responsible for any serious side effects the drug caused.
- A physician- A physician may be held liable for a case involving dangerous drug side effects if they incorrectly prescribed the drug to their patient.
- A pharmacist or pharmacy- In the event the wrong drug or dosage was filled, a pharmacist or pharmacy may be responsible for a patient suffering from serious prescription drug side effects.
Why Consult an Ohio Product Liability Attorney?
If you’ve been hurt by a serious prescription drug side effect, you should consult one of our Ohio product liability attorneys right away. Once your case is thoroughly investigated and liability is established, a product liability lawsuit may be filed. The compensation you may recover in a product liability lawsuit can pay for:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Rehabilitation expenses
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
Call Kisling, Nestico & Redick Today
If you have faced a serious side effect due to a prescription drug, you should call Kisling, Nestico & Redick today at 1-800-HURT-NOW. We may be able to help you obtain compensation for your losses while ensuring that your rights and health are protected.