If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident, the Cincinnati motorcycle accident lawyers with Kisling, Nestico & Redick are ready to protect your rights and help you secure what you and your family need.
We are proud to announce The Robert Redick Memorial Scholarship which awards $5,000 to a student pursuing higher-education.
In 2020, KNR is putting the focus on deserving individuals of all age groups throughout Ohio. We believe that YOU make our world better.
Super Lawyers Magazine has named three of our attorneys to the Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists in 2021.
See how our case results have helped clients rebuild their lives.
If you were injured in a motorcycle crash someone else caused, call a Cincinnati motorcycle accident lawyer from Kisling, Nestico & Redick for help. We have worked with may responsible and experienced motorcycle riders. No matter how careful you are, a negligent driver can cause a wreck. When that happens, we are here to fight for your compensation.
Your gear and helmet can only protect you so much in a crash. If a car or truck hits you, you end up in pain and with high medical costs. Your injuries might be severe or catastrophic. In the weeks and months following the collision, you should focus on your recovery. You shouldn’t have to worry about the insurance claim or lawsuit. That’s what we are for. Let us handle your motorcycle accident case.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents happen for many reasons, many of which involve a careless or reckless driver. Motorcycles are much smaller than a vehicle. At times, they are harder to see. Motorists who are not looking out for motorcycles might not see you, which can cause an accident.
After a motorcycle accident, you should uncover the cause of the crash. You may have called 911 after the accident. But you should not rely on the crash report filed by the Cincinnati Police Department or the Ohio State Highway Patrol.
Officers only perform a brief investigation of the crash. They might not speak to everyone involved. They might not talk to the witnesses. They might weigh one person’s statement more than another. A crash report can be incomplete and inaccurate. That is why it is important to work with a motorcycle accident lawyer in Cincinnati who will investigate the crash independently.
At KNR, our lawyers have investigated many motorcycle accidents. We have found common causes of motorcycle crashes include:
- Distracted driving
- Drowsy driving
- Intoxicated driving
- Improper passing
- Failure to check blind spots
- Failure to yield
- Unprotected left turns
- Wide turns
- Sudden stops
- Failure to notice a stopped or slowing vehicle
- Lane splitting
- Open car doors
Common Injuries in Motorcycle Accidents
Ohio law requires motorcycle riders under 18 years and who have novice licenses to wear helmets. If you are an older, experienced rider, you do not have to wear a helmet. When you are on your bike, you may be relatively unprotected. Even if you wear a helmet and heavy boots and gear, very little stands between you and harm.
If a car or truck crashes into you while you are riding, you may suffer serious or catastrophic injuries. Common motorcycle accident injuries include:
- Severe lacerations
- Road rash
- Bone fractures
- Ligament, tendon, muscle injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Concussion (minor traumatic brain injury)
- Serious traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Crush injuries
- Nerve damage
- Chest and abdomen organ damage
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Motorcycle Accident Compensation
When you are injured because of another person’s careless or reckless behavior, the law might entitle you to compensation. For example, when a negligent driver causes a motorcycle crash and your injuries, you can pursue compensation through an insurance claim or lawsuit. Our Cincinnati motorcycle accident lawyers are here to fight for you to receive the most compensation possible.
Through a personal injury claim, you can fight for compensation for your past and future:
- Medical expenses
- Property damages
- Lost wages
- Physical limitations
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of personal relationships (loss of consortium)
Fatal Motorcycle Accidents
Did you lose a loved one in a motorcycle accident? If your parent, spouse, or child passed away from motorcycle accident injuries, then the compensation you can pursue is different. Instead of filing a personal injury lawsuit, you would file a wrongful death lawsuit.
Wrongful death compensation includes:
- Loss of income
- Loss of prospective inheritance
- Loss of companionship and society
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Emotional distress
Fighting for Compensation After a Motorcycle Crash
When you get hurt in a motorcycle crash and blame the other driver, talk with a motorcycle accident injury attorney in Cincinnati. There are several ways we can help.
The Insurance Claim Process
It is important to notify insurance right away. But once you have started your claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company, you do not have to give a statement. We recommend you retain a lawyer to handle the insurance claim process. The adjuster is hoping you will say something wrong. They are looking for any reason to deny your claim or limit your payout.
You might feel more comfortable letting a lawyer handle the insurance company’s questions. Our team at KNR will review any letters you get from the insurance company and decide how to respond. We will talk with the insurance adjuster on the phone. We will answer any of the adjuster’s questions.
A Cincinnati motorcycle wreck lawyer thoroughly investigate your motorcycle accident. We gather evidence of what happened and why. We might hire an accident reconstruction expert if the cause of the crash is complex. Then, we will provide the insurer with whatever evidence is necessary to prove the other driver was at fault.
You also have to prove you suffered injuries in the accident. We will work with you and your medical providers to gather this evidence. We will give the insurer your medical records for your crash-related injuries.
Once we have established your case against the other driver, our hope is that the insurance company will approve your claim. Then we can move on to negotiating your settlement. The insurer might make you a settlement offer. We highly recommend you talk with a lawyer before accepting an offer or cashing any check you receive. An attorney can advise you on whether an offer is low or fair.
When the offer is less than what your case is worth, we will negotiate for a higher settlement. We cannot guarantee a certain outcome to your case or a certain amount of compensation, but we have a record of obtaining good results for our clients. Review our recent personal injury case results.
Motorcycle Accident Litigation
Sometimes, a motorcycle accident injury claim calls for filing a personal injury lawsuit. We will talk with you about the advantages and disadvantages of going to court. It can seem intimidating but filing a lawsuit does not mean your case will go to trial. Most personal injury claims settle. But filing might give the insurer an incentive to negotiate a better settlement.
Our firm will handle writing and filing the legal documents for a lawsuit. You may need to come to court, but we will represent you and handle talking to the judge. We will guide you through the litigation process, including discovery, pre-trial motions, and, when necessary, trial.
The Statute of Limitations
There is always a time limit on how long you have to file a lawsuit. A negligent driver does not have to live with the risk of a lawsuit forever. In Ohio, you have two years to file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit.
For a motorcycle accident injury claim, you have two years from the date of the crash. For a fatal motorcycle accident case, you have two years from the date your loved one passed away.
This deadline is only for filing a lawsuit. It is not relevant to an insurance claim. Insurance companies have their own time limits, which are much sooner. It is important to talk with a Cincinnati motorcycle crash lawyer right away to pursue an insurance settlement.
Our Cincinnati Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Are Here to Help
After you are hurt in a motorcycle wreck in Cincinnati, let us help.
KNR will fight for you to receive full and fair compensation for your injuries by:
- Investigating the crash: We will obtain and review the police report, photos, video, your testimony, and witness statements.
- Hiring an accident reconstructionist: If you are dealing with a complex or contentious case, we might hire an accident reconstruction expert to analyze the cause of the accident.
- Calculating the value of your claim: It is important to get a professional opinion about the value of your case. You cannot figure out how much your claim is worth from online advice. Our personal injury and wrongful death lawyers at KNR have years of experience determining the value of physical, psychological, and financial injuries
- Handling the insurance claim process: We will deal with the insurance company for you. We know the ins and outs of the insurance claim process as well as Ohio insurance law. We are on equal footing with an insurance company and their lawyers. They cannot intimidate or confuse us or make us back down from this fight.
- Filing a lawsuit: We will advise you on when filing a lawsuit is either necessary or beneficial to your case. If you agree to pursue a lawsuit, we will handle the paperwork and appearing in court.
- Negotiating a settlement: Our attorneys at KNR have years of experience negotiation settlements in personal injury and wrongful death claims. We know how to push for a maximum settlement based on the evidence.
- Going to trial: In rare cases, a motorcycle crash claim goes to trial. The insurer may deny your claim or might refuse to settle for a fair amount. The at-fault driver may not have had auto insurance, or the policy limit might be less than what your claim is worth. If your case needs to go to trial, we will prepare the strongest argument we can and ask for the maximum compensation.
To learn more about pursuing motorcycle accident compensation in Ohio, call Kisling, Nestico & Redick at (513) 221-0499, or submit your information through our online form to request a free consultation.